New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 760 vs. 7600
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know the difference? Is the 7600 action design improved over the 760? I have a 7600 .35 Whelen, like it a lot despite the sloppy trigger, but have a chance to buy a handsomely custom stocked 760 .30'06 which I could rebore or rebarrel to the Whelen. Will 760 stocks fit a 7600?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
The 7600 is the improvement over the 760 the main difference being the amount and size of the locking lugs. The 760 has a Ross like set of locking lugs numbering around a dozen while the 7600 has much fewer but larger lugs. I think they have four. If you would like to have the gun set up with a new barrel, your 'smith would find the 7600 easier to work with seeing as it has fewer lugs to fuss with.

The triggers are generally better on the the 760's but Timney will work on either if you ask them to.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
<RugerNo3>
posted
The many locking lugs of the 760 were more expensive to manufacture and they developed headspace problems which is accentuated by the minimum size dies used for reloading the Pump and semi-auto Remingtons. This is contrary to what seems logical. The 270's especially sowed this characteristic and led Rem to offer the 280 as a viable replacement. The rest is history.