New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94 Winchester Barrel Threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see from searching the gunpart parts company that different eras of the winchester model 94 take different barrels. For example they list a 32 special barrel for the post 64s, but that barrel isn't available for the pre 64s. What changed? What are the various barrel thread diameters and pitch on the Model 94s.

Thank
Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
All standard 94's have the same thread. I have a 30-30 barrel here that measures .808" x 20 TPI. What will be different between pre and post-64 may be sight location and style and magazine and forearm hanger locations. The angle eject was introduced about 1981 and those have a different extractor slot.

The Big Bore actions have a larger thread and a 444 barrel I have is .869" x 28 TPI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a little known variation of the Pre 64 barrels.

The factory had some set aside that was oversize in the shank LENGTH. These were for factory rebuilding of really worn out guns, so they could reset the head space. A extra .020" on the rear of the shank in length.

My father bought several of these barrels in 30-30, in 1974 when Winchester offered the remaining pre 64 M 94 parts to the service centers.

You just never knew about these since they were an internal factory fitted part.

Marc is correct about the OD and pitch of the threads.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your replies. I was aware of the extractor slot location change. I'll tell you what I might be up too. I was thinking of getting a Model 94 in 30-30, not angle eject, and buying a Winchester barrel in 32 Special that Gunparts has for what they state the post 64 models and changing them out because it's too hard to find a 32 Special for a decent price. What do you fellows think about this idea? Are there other things I should be aware of? These barrels are completely finished, chambered, blued, and even come with the front ramp.

Thanks
Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you have in mind is doable and a friend of mine has swapped barrels between pre and post-64's several times. You just need to check for the normal headspace variations that can occur when you swap factory barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marc