New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting light hits on my 1911A1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sometimes it takes two hits for a cartridge to discharge.The primers have a very light hit.Suggestions please.Thanks ahead, OB
The Pistol is a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded Target.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simplest check would be to see if there is any obstructions in the firing pin tunnel, or if there is crud impacted behind the breech face to keep the pin from going all the way forward. Could be a short pin, but that's pretty uncommon.

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Has the gun been worked on? Are you using handloads? Does the problem occur with factory stuff? FWIW, some folks are under the impression that the path to a decent trigger pull on these guns involves the use of wire cutters.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And many forget to clean the firing pin, spring , and hole ! It doesn't take much to slow or stop an inertia firing pin on a pistol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The good news is there are only a few possibilities here:
1. As mentioned, check the firing pin tunnel, firing pin and spring and clean out any gunk
2. Look at the end of the firing pin; it should be nicely rounded. If jagged, it has probably broken off. Unlikely but it happens
3. Check to make sure the hammer is not binding. Take the mainspring housing out and move the hammer back and forth
4. Check the mainspring (take it out of the mianspring housing. Very unlikely, but it can break. Did anyone do a "trigger job" on this gun? Cutting the mainspring is a favorite Bubba gunsmith trick. If so, just replace

Brad

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
One of the most common problems with light hits in any brand is the incorrect adjustment of the overtravel screw in the trigger.
If adjusted for the minimum amount of travel, the sear may be hitting the half cock notch hooks. This can, and does lead, to light strikes.
You can check for this by holding the trigger back and easing the hammer forward. If you feel a slight "bump", That would be the half cock notch bumping the sear. If that is, in fact, whats happening, simply back the overtravel screw out until the bump disappears.
This is fairly common in unmodified guns.
Springfield also uses Ti Firing pins, which would be the next issue to address...

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pistol is completely stock .Trigger has not been tampered with.I checked out the firing pin and cleaned it out a couple weeks ago and it still does this.This is not a new pistol.I have shot it quite a bit and this first started doing this about a month ago.It happens with Factory ammo and reloads.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Well then, without the benefit of having the pistol here to examine, I would say to start by replacing the main spring.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Well then, without the benefit of having the pistol here to examine, I would say to start by replacing the main spring.

What lb.spring would you recommend????

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I prefer reliable ignition so I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 23 lbs. Item number 969-262-230WB at www.brownells.com

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Did you reinstall the firing pin spring correctly?

If the gun is unmodified, and exhibited no problems before cleaning, this would be the second thing to check. The closed loop or tight end goes on the pin itself.

Also, does it have the ILS mainspring housing?
The lock, much like an overtravel screw, can occasionally turn, and bind a little.
If no mods were made, its almost assuredly an assembly or adjustment problem.

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
Did you reinstall the firing pin spring correctly?

If the gun is unmodified, and exhibited no problems before cleaning, this would be the second thing to check. The closed loop or tight end goes on the pin itself.

Also, does it have the ILS mainspring housing?
The lock, much like an overtravel screw, can occasionally turn, and bind a little.
If no mods were made, its almost assuredly an assembly or adjustment problem.

CW

It happened before I took it apart.That is why I took it apart.After I cleaned it out it happened less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
I prefer reliable ignition so I would suggest something in the neighborhood of 23 lbs. Item number 969-262-230WB at www.brownells.com

Thanks