Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra Mag problem?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted
I heard that Remington's Ultra Mags had a problem with bad chambering (off center). Any truth to this?

Also do they still free throat all their guns and what kind of accuracy degradation have you seen from this if any?

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forget the Rem, Buy a Winchester in the WSM. you won't be sorry.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own ultra's are customs but I do know of a couple of factory 700's that shoot around 1".The 300 ultra has become my only moose and elk cartridge due it's superb performance on these animals.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I have a 300 ultra in a PSS. It has shot very well from opening the box. It has been bedded and the trigger adjusted and it is plenty accurate. 2" group at 300 yards with 200 grain sierras. I'd say it is more accurate than I am capable without regular practice. It isn't my most pleasurable bench gun [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a look at one Rem 700 300 RUM that found it�s way all the way up here in northern Sweden [Smile]

The rifle shot terribly bad and the chamber was indeed off center..... The magazine box was not well inletted as well. There was a quite heavy tention when the stock screws was tightened.

The lands in the throat started at the casemouth on one side and aprox 4-5 mm into the barrel on the other side (borescope).

I find it a bit odd to let a bad rifle like that slip thru when Remington was trying to market the RUM as THE magnum in .30 cal.

The rifle shot so bad that I would hesitate to take a shot at a roe deer at 200 m due to the fact that the rifle probably wouldn�t hit the vital area.

Yes a 200 m shot at a roe deer is a long one, I know! [Smile]

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Off center, oblong, out of spec chambers aren't limited to RUMs or even to Remington rifles. They're fairly common in all calibers and makes.