THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurizing a Rifle - Where Would You Send It?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To whom would you suggest I send a Win M70 Classic Sainless (30-06) for accurizing? What would they "most likely" do to the rifle, particularly if I told them I wanted this rifle to shoot Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partitions as accurately as possible? What would something like this cost? Appreciate your responses.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot now? How's the trigger? What part of the world are you living in now?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
To whom would you suggest I send a Win M70 Classic Sainless (30-06) for accurizing? What would they "most likely" do to the rifle, particularly if I told them I wanted this rifle to shoot Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partitions as accurately as possible? What would something like this cost? Appreciate your responses.

LBGuy,

HCR, the do a good job for a reasonable price ask for Matt Bettersworth.
Three rifles have been done for me, excellent job, realistic time frame and honest people.

Go to http://www.hillcountryrifles.com - Click accurizing

tel: 830.609.3139
fax: 830.625.4020

Hill Country Rifle Company
5726 Morningside Dr.
New Braunfels, Texas - 78132

Success, thumb
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't start a serious debate in here...but my experience with Winchester stainless barrels leaves a lot to be desired. This thought is echoed by more than a few of my friends also. I would change out the barrel first if the accuracy is not what you expected.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Fred Zeglin of Z-hat Custom Casper Wyoming

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10104 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim kobe who posts here is a master of this, but don't be to suprised if he too recommends rebarreling.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I vote with roland1 for hill country rifles, great work reasonably priced their accuracy pkg is 375$ with a sub inch guarantee.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on accurizing a factory barrel is that it is potentially a waste of money. You're putting pretty much all the money into the work that would be required to install a new barrel, but you're keeping the factory tube.

I can see having the trigger tuned, cleaning up the crown and bedding a factory barreled action, but any more work than that just seems like a waste to me unless you also have a match grade barrel fit.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I can see having the trigger tuned, cleaning up the crown and bedding a factory barreled action, but any more work than that just seems like a waste to me unless you also have a match grade barrel fit.

That is about the extent of what Hill Country Rifle does. I'm not passing judgement whether their service is worth the $$$ or not, just pointing out what their website states.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would they "most likely" do to the rifle, particularly if I told them I wanted this rifle to shoot Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partitions as accurately as possible?

This is pretty subjective. It might be a accurate as possible right now.

What kind of groups are you getting right now and what do you expect to get?

A good final mark would be .75 MOA for a Win 30-06. I am sure it could be tightened up past that but that will get into cost vrs benefit argument that only you can answer what you want to fund.

The big question is what kind of groups are you getting currently?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had HCR work (accurize) on four rifles. First, there work is good, second they will use hornady custom ammunition to sight in the work they do and will not make promises about any other ammunition. All barrels like different bullets/ammunition and it has been my experience that they work with Hornady exclusively in making their accuracy statements.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Sutton
c/o Tussey Custom
24 Moonlight Road, Unit A
Mound House, NV 89706
(775) 246-1665

Builder of super-accurate rifles; also does accurizing work. I have his email address, but I suggest you contact him by phone first. Hours are Tuesday through Friday, 0900 - 1600 Pacific time. Bob leaves before 1200 most days; call around 1000.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Everything else being equal, I'd choose someone that I could drive to. I'd say 3-4 hours maximum drive time so you could drop off/pick up in a day and also be there if there are some little details that needed to be looked at.

Next, pick a budget as that will decide how accurate you would like this to be.

Decide what degree of accuracy you'd be happy with- MOA, 1/2 MOA? etc. If this is a hunting rifle (shooting partitions like you are) I'd be satisfied with MOA, as it is accurate enough that the gun will not be the cause of a miss. Also, things start getting tightened up and you start getting less tolerance for the hunting environment.

My '06 M70 has a preference for 190 gr and up bullets, and it always has. It is a bit older than yours so they cannot be compared side by side but I don't know if it was the twist or the chamber throat but either way if I wanted to shoot 180 gr bullets accurately with it I'd have to rebarrel.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7765 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
I have had HCR work (accurize) on four rifles. First, there work is good, second they will use hornady custom ammunition to sight in the work they do and will not make promises about any other ammunition. All barrels like different bullets/ammunition and it has been my experience that they work with Hornady exclusively in making their accuracy statements.

muygrande,

The three .375 H&H rifles HCR accurized for me, perform best with factory Federal ammo Trophy Bonded Bear Claws - 300 grains. All 3 rifles shoot less than half MOA at 100 Yards if I do my part.

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly can attest to the fact that most of mine will also shoot other factory ammo rather well. However, the original post asked about accurizing for a specific factory ammo and I just doubt that HCR will spec their work for any ammo other than the Hornady Custom - that was the point I was trying to make in any event.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
I certainly can attest to the fact that most of mine will also shoot other factory ammo rather well. However, the original post asked about accurizing for a specific factory ammo and I just doubt that HCR will spec their work for any ammo other than the Hornady Custom - that was the point I was trying to make in any event.

muygrande,

I think there is a misunderstanding; you can ask HCR to accurize your rifle with any premium factory ammo you like, after shooting multiple brands or loads the will advise which ammo is the most accurate for your rifle.
Custom CZ - .375 H&H, we tried Federal 260 grain accubond, Federal Nosler Partition 300 Grain and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300 Grain which was the most accurate for this particular setup.
CZ .375 H&H - Group .39 Center to Center 100 Yards - 300 Grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks to all who responded thus far. Regarding the rifle, I bought it about 4 months ago strictly for hunting both elk and deer. I have had the trigger adjusted to break at 3 lbs, and I have also discarded the factory stock and replaced it with one from HS Precision (I had HS stocks on my other rifles before I gave them to my Son and Son-in-Law). This 06 shoots 180gr Failsafes to MOA, but I don't like failsafes for deer (please, no debate here) and I want ONE load for both animals (such as the partitions). Money isn't a problem, but I don't want to waste it if changing barrels is the best answer. OR, is there another factory load that you feel is suitable for both animals that I should try. Again, I appreciate your responses.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
First of all, thanks to all who responded thus far. Regarding the rifle, I bought it about 4 months ago strictly for hunting both elk and deer. I have had the trigger adjusted to break at 3 lbs, and I have also discarded the factory stock and replaced it with one from HS Precision (I had HS stocks on my other rifles before I gave them to my Son and Son-in-Law). This 06 shoots 180gr Failsafes to MOA, but I don't like failsafes for deer (please, no debate here) and I want ONE load for both animals (such as the partitions). Money isn't a problem, but I don't want to waste it if changing barrels is the best answer. OR, is there another factory load that you feel is suitable for both animals that I should try. Again, I appreciate your responses.

LBGuy,

180 Grain Nosler Accubond - Shoots extremely well in most rifles and will do a great job on both animals.
I use Federal ammo 180 Grain Accubonds on most American game, great results

Success and good hunting, thumb
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roland1, it is probably semantics. I had one rifle and gave them five types of premium ammunition. None would even group. However, their own ammo of choice, Hornady Custom, did group and that is how they met their promise of accurizing. I did later find another premium that will group so I am satisfied with the work. That ammo was the Federal Vital Shock 180 gr Barnes Triple Shock. This rifle is a pre-garcia Sako custom in 30'06.

Bottom line is that HCR does good work, is on the high end price wise and "sometimes" gets backlogged. Yes, they will get more of my business all said and done.