New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathieu action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw one online and all I know is that it is somehow related to Weatherby. Does anyone know about these and are they good actions?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sent a PM with info

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was priv eledged to meet Mr. Mathieu. He was a pilot in WW II, shot down and severely injured over Germany, German Doctors put him back together, saving his life. He was left handed and there was a serious shortage of LH actions available then, so with a solid background in machinery. began producing tis LH action, based very much on the Springfield..in fact, he used Springfield bottom metal. they are well made actions, have nothing to do with Weatherby and were mfg. in the SF bay area in CA...haven't seen one on the market in years

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention..You may see Mathieu actions on Weatherby's,,,that is about the only "connection" Weatherby used the action when someone needed a LH rifle..about the same situation as using FN actions for RH rifles...wish someone would research Mathieu for history. I knew his long time secretary (Mynra Rebholtz), but suspect she has passed on, as I have been unable find info on her or her husband, Harold

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know he was a WW 2 pilot. I had heard he was a machinist from Belgium. Anyway, he made these actions from chrome moly (NOT stainless steel as advertised on GunsAmerica). His shop was in Oakland, Ca. Weatherby did use them for a time before the Mark V action became available. They represent the first time the SAKO style extractor (as it is known) and plunger ejector were put together in the same action. Actually, the Mathieu pre-dates the SAKO so it may be Sako copied Mathieu and not the reverse. It came standard with a custom Jaeger trigger.
There is a good write up in "Bolt Action Rifles" on the Mathieu action. It is strong and well made. I have one and will not part with it. I shot out the original 300 Weatherby barrel
and have since rebarreled to 300H&H.
Fajen Gunstocks offered left handed Matheiu actioned rifles briefly in the 1960-61 timeframe. I think my rifle might be one of these as the stock looks "factory".
Hope this helps.
Regards,
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
There is one for sale at my local gun shop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a historical note: Ed Aubert, sockmaker in Suisun, CA knew Marhieu pretty well as it turns out. More of the story: When shot down over Germany a farmer came upon his wreckage and stabbed Mathieu with a pitchfork, sorta a coup de gras. Next day, officials came by and found him still alive and took him to the hospital where all this reconsructive surgery was perormed. Ed claims that there actually was some sort of agreement or contract with Weatherby, so I was wrong on that part..Ed also claims to have once owned a RIGHT hand Mathieu...bet that action would fetch a pretty penny!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, a Right Hand Mathieu! I want one! Actually, I'd settle for another LH. I have this project in mind for a 375........

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a question reference the so called Sako extractor and this action employing it before anybody else. Doesn't the M1 Garand have a "Sako " style extractor and a similar ejector? If so I believe that would predate all of these other rifles.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.