New
Find
Notify
Tools

POI change during break-in??
 Login/Join

<Huntaholic>
posted
I recently purchased a model 700 sendero in 300 ultra mag. I cleaned and J&B lapped the bore before firing the first shot. The first shot hit 1 1/2" high at 100 yards. Since it was so close I decided to just shoot it and break it in before adjusting the scope. In the process of firing 25 shots or so, my POI has shifted 3 inches to the left. Is this normal, or do I need to worry about it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This has happened to me before, it just mean every thing is settling in. The next time you go to the range see if this happens again. Also some bbls "throw" the first shot out if they are shot clean. Only further testing will tell.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Usually it's just the barreled-action settling into the stock.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Time to check screws and mounts. Recoil can shift your action in the stock enough to loosen screws - especially on new guns. 3" is excessive for any �normal� break-in movement. You're dealing with a lot of recoil...

[ 02-25-2003, 05:23: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Huntaholic>
posted
I agree, the first shot, (fouler) is always 3/4" to the right of the actual group. The gun is shooting pretty good, I went to firing 5 shots between cleanings yesterday. All 5 went into 1 1/4", with the last four neatly tucking in at .700 it has surprised me actually with how tight it is shooting, just this POI change bothers me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
huntaholic Try this, before you shoot the first shot of the day dry the chamber out, and push 3 or 4 dry patches through the bbl before you shoot. If the first shot is still out, when you finish shooting for the day do not clean the bbl. The next time you go to the range the bbl will be "fouled". See if the first shot is still out. Get back with us with the results.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I've got the same rifle (700 sendero stainless fluted 300 rum) and I did not experience a significant poi change in my gun. Mine shoots 3 shot groups at around 3/4". Mine hates the 150gn scirrocos (2.75" 3 shot groups). I kinda think your scope moved and is now holding steady. Good luck.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
It could actually be the scope setteling in.

chuck