Find
Notify
Tools

R700 firing pin spring replacement problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted
OK - so I'm going to replace the spring on a 1999 vintage R700. Got the tool, compressed the spring, knocked out the pin, and ....nothing. Cocking piece will not budge. I have an old J-Lock assembly that came apart fine. What am I doing wrong?
thanks

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing; tap it with a BFH and it will shoot out; be careful. Maybe a small FH. What happens is that the pin causes a little burr inside and back then they fitted tightly.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree w/DpcD and also soak with Marvel Mystery Oil or Naptha to dissolve the hardened lube that may also be affecting it. This lube is responsible for most if not all of the M700 trigger issues. We had an old M700 in the shop today that was locked up with hardened lube. It exhibited the notorious AD when the safety was let off after pulling the trigger. Took 3 hrs to clean and test. Now is a super shooter with a crisp trigger. Like I've said before, Remington was the victim of defective lubricant not defective design.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I'll try both.

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Agree w/DpcD and also soak with Marvel Mystery Oil or Naptha to dissolve the hardened lube that may also be affecting it. This lube is responsible for most if not all of the M700 trigger issues. We had an old M700 in the shop today that was locked up with hardened lube. It exhibited the notorious AD when the safety was let off after pulling the trigger. Took 3 hrs to clean and test. Now is a super shooter with a crisp trigger. Like I've said before, Remington was the victim of defective lubricant not defective design.

Yep. What they said.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Try twisting the cocking piece too with a little wrench. It will come off quite suddenly when it does.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The harder you hit it, the easier it comes free! Wink
I make a very small witness punch mark both on the cocking piece and on the firing pin itself before taking them apart to aid in reassembly. They go back together much easier that way. 50% of the time they are not drilled exactly on center, and the hole will not line up right if 180 out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
The harder you hit it, the easier it comes free! Wink
I make a very small witness punch mark both on the cocking piece and on the firing pin itself before taking them apart to aid in reassembly. They go back together much easier that way. 50% of the time they are not drilled exactly on center, and the hole will not line up right if 180 out.

And that is good advice also, don't ask how I know

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just decompress the assembly, clamp the firing pin (at the end of the spring...large diameter portion) in padded vise jaws and twist the cocking piece back and forth. It will come loose and be captured in the cocking piece...no small parts shooting across the room Smiler

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies - I knocked the pin out and when I removed it from the jig the dang thing fell apart! I suppose the previous liberal application of appropriate language loosened it up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be ready to duck and hide! I know a guy that lost a fingernail..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote