New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W .22 Model 18 4" LEADING
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shooting two S&W's, one a model 18-3 and the other an 18-7, both 4". They are leading badly, especially the newer 18-7 (with the "safety"). After a session of 300 t0 400 rounds (mostly Remington) the barrels are so full of lead that the bore brush/jag will not go through. I have to put a rod without a tip in and actually pound out lead (almost 360) in a large chunk.

The leading is also in the barrel forcing cone, on the face of the barrel, the adjoining cylinder face, and in every cylinder. S&W says to try Federal/CCI ammo. Any ideas as to what is happening?

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
I have been shooting two S&W's, one a model 18-3 and the other an 18-7, both 4". They are leading badly, especially the newer 18-7 (with the "safety"). After a session of 300 t0 400 rounds (mostly Remington) the barrels are so full of lead that the bore brush/jag will not go through. I have to put a rod without a tip in and actually pound out lead (almost 360) in a large chunk.

The leading is also in the barrel forcing cone, on the face of the barrel, the adjoining cylinder face, and in every cylinder. S&W says to try Federal/CCI ammo. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Although I have loaded for and used pistols it is not an area I know much about but for what it is worth I have an old Reloader Digest, or similar publication, which has an article about leading in revolvers and how to clean up the forcing cone which dramatically fixes leading problems and improves accuracy and performance. A special reaming tool was used for this.

That's certainly where I would start looking if it were mine.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several questions first:

What are the bullets alloy?

How hard are they?

What size are they?

What type of lube?

Have you slugged the barrel and the cylinders?

Answers to these need to be known.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks eagle27, I'll research the throat fix.

plainsman456, These are .22 revolvers using factory ammo (Remington/Federal).

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I was hoping for some ideas from the experienced smiths on this thread. Thanks just the same.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give S&W a try.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&W have had various problems with forcing cones thru the years. I would suspect that is your problem. they probably won't admit to it so try a good smith familiar with revolvers & it'll be a quick fix

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some other ammo. I once had a brick of Rem. .22 target ammo that would lead my K22 so badly that you couldn't push a brush thru it. I called Remington and they had me send them the remaining ammo. Turned out that they let a bunch get out that had no lube at all. They replaced the brick with a new one. Once the barrel starts to lead nothing will work in it until it is cleaned.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I have thoroughly cleaned both guns and will try other brands of ammo. If that does not cure the problem then the forcing cone is next. I'll post progress, or lack thereof.

NRA Patron Member