New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel band swivel / front site
 Login/Join

<manhasset>
posted
with banded swivels and front sites that get sweated to the bbl. what is the proper ID of the band. how much larger should it be compared to the bbl. diameter.
thanks,
bob

<JBelk>
posted
manhassett--

It depends on whether it's a flat band or convex and to some extent on how it looks with a quarter-rib.

For flat bands figure on .015 to .025 thickness so the OD would be .030 to .050 over barrel dia.

Allow yourself .100 over if you're going to sculpt it or arch it

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jack me thinks he's wanting to know the clearance between the ring & barrel to allow for solder.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Thanks Doug, thats what I was looking for.

Jack I didn't think about the contour but now that I look at it the Gentry bbl. band is doubled contoured where Talley and London
bands are flat. One is tapered on the ID the other two are not. Is the tapered ID that much of a concern since the width of the band is 3/4" or less.
bob

<JBelk>
posted
manhasset---

I bore or grind a relief in the center of the band and only fit a thin "rind" at the front and back. The space in the middle, with clearance of .002 or .003, is full of solder.

<manhasset>
posted
Thank you Jack, appreciate the "tricks of the trade", save that one for your book.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Concerning this topic, but in stainless... I know of the Ruger No.1 stainless quarter rib, and the Gentry stainless swivel band, but I've no info on a stainless front ramp, or a stainless barrel band
front sight base. So, any ideas? TIA ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote