Find
Notify
Tools

NEF Handi Rifle query
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
I know this has been asked before but - Is it possible to rechamber an NEF single shot from say 223 to 219 Donaldson Wasp ?
I was going to build a martini actioned 219 wasp but the NEF new is cheaper than the custom-rifle-on-a-martini by miles .And I have the reamer and dies and cases already ....
No lectures on one calibre versus another please - I want a 219 Donaldson rifle coz I can.... Smiler

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza: I can't answer your inquiry, but I would like to suggest that you post it at the Greybeard forums, where there is a forum specifically for H&R centerfire rifles and where there are some real Handi-rifle experts who can probably give you an accurate answer:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/index.php

Many of the members of the old factory-supported H&R forum page migrated to Greybeard after Marlin/H&R shut their forums down. If you desire, I can post it there for you and you can follow the responses without joining.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
In my experience with two of the NEF's I would save the time, effort and money and get a bolt action. I was not pleased with the NEF AT ALL!

Accuracy was horrible and the ejector stuck about every third round with factory ammo.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Pagris - I would appreciate you posting my query on Greybeards , looks like a knowledgeable place all right .

I already have a selection of martini rifles , and a Ruger No1 in 220 Swift so a change of model appeals , plus the cost is a factor these days - I had money in a previous life , but not so these days Frowner

Appreciate the advice from both you guys , thanks .

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza: I posted your inquiry on Greybeard - I hope you get some informative answers. Good luck with your project!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate - I see a couple of helpful suggestions there already .Appreciate that .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the H&R/NEF single shots are extremely accurate. They are a little finicky and in all honesty take a little fiddeling with. Thats the fun of it. Think about it. How many rifles can you buy for under $250.00 that SHOOT. Some have to be bedded, some require trigger work, etc. (something I do to all mine) etc....don't discount the NEF. Great gun for the price.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .223 Handi Rifle should ream out to .219DW fairly well, with a few problems:
1) Cartridges of the World show the .223 case length as 1.76" and the .219DW as 1.71". You can live with cases .050" short. If you form your own brass from 30-30 brass, you can make the necks longer, and they will probably fit into the extra neck space left by the 223 reamer.
2) Going from a rimless extractor to a rimmed extractor. I would remove the extractor for chambering, but replace it and cut the extractor while in the lathe with a tool bit.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote