New
Find
Notify
Tools

mark x and mauser 98 safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could a standard military mauser 98 safety be fitted to the mark x? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingbogo
I had a Interarms in .458, the "express" version and did this very thing. It was just a matter of swapping the bolt shroud on mine, but keep in mind that I had also put a standard two stage Mauser trigger in it also. That eliminated the sliding safety on the right side. I really like the old Mauser flag safety and never regretted putting it on my rifle. I am sure you realize this, but that pretty much eliminates the use of a scope unless you have really high rings. I prefer open sights anyway, so it didn't bother me.
Hope this helped....

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is technically a drop-in fit if you are going to use an original 98 military trigger.

Many adjustable triggers will have the sear slightly forward, supposedly to create a quicker lock time. This lets the cocking piece sit too far forward for the flag safety to begin engagement as you flip it. If this is the case, you will have to mill a ledge in the top forward part of the cocking piece, keeping it parallel with the original front of the piece. (the bevel should only be on the safety, not the cocking piece).

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not the ajustable trigger that causes the problem; it is the cocking piece. The engagement point where the cocking piece meets the trigger is different. The Mark-x cocking piece lies ahead of the other when in the cocked position. The two are not compatible, but can be altered that way. You need to machine a new engagement slot for the safety on the Mark-x cocking piece. I have done this on numerous occasions, I use the swing safety conversion of the 98 shroud which allows the use of a low mounted scope. I have 7 or 8 of these in stock ready to go. Email me.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you may or may not have to recut the cocking piece, depends on how lucky you are...You could change the trigger while your at it...

Posts: 42153 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, You have no Idea what you are talking about! Read the damn thread completely!

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Thanks for all the good info! I was thinking ahead as I am still waiting for Charles Daly to start importing these Mark X rifles again. I am planning to get one in 458 Win. or 375 H&H and to use it with open sights only so the high safety mount of the Mauser should not be a problem. I just like the safety to be on the bolt so was wondering if it can be done. I was looking in Brownells catalog and saw a Winchester style safety with Mauser style shroud made by Dakota and that might be just the ticket for this safety conversion. Again, it is still be a while before I get my hands on one so I will just have to keep day dreaming in the mean time. Thanks again guys!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two styles of cocking pieces and cocking cams in the Mk X production.

In the late 80's they speed locked the cocking piece and the cocking cam on the bolt. These require rework of the cocking piece to fit any other type of saftey.

To identify the speed lock type, pull the bolt out of the action and look under the bolt handle area. You will see the cocking cam cut. The speed lock type move upward at a angle part way and then has a flat. The cockng piece nose rests on this. Then it moves upward at a angle again until it reaches the rear of the bolt body.

The older type is the same as the older commerical FN's. The cocking cam cut starts at the bottom and moves upward at a angle all the way to the rear of the bolt body.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote