THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine Length for 25-06 in a Mauser 98.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much additional length is generally needed for reliable feeding?

I have lengthened the magazine by thinning the back and front walls.
Thinning is slightly tapered so as to not weaken the slots for the floorplate.

At approx. the half depth of the magazine, the length is 3.330"
At the very top, it is 3.340".

OAL on the 25-06 is 3.250" so I think I should be good to go.

The action is one of the "FAMAGE 1957" that has the front ring notched for 30-06 on stripper clips. Was marked '.30' on the rear ring, but I filed that out.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You should be fine. Since you thinned the front make sure the transition to the feed ramp is still smooth.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Thanks. I suspected as much, but haven't thinned a guard like this.

For lack of a better explanation, there is still a small 'gap' from the front of the magazine box to the feed ramp. Without that, I would not have thinned the front of the magazine.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You just want the bottom edge of the feed ramp to be flush or in front of the interior front edge of the box. If the box is taken too far and the ramp not adjusted then you can hang a bullet tip.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ou just want the bottom edge of the feed ramp to be flush or in front of the interior front edge of the box.

That is what I was attempting to describe.

We're good to go! tu2

I don't have a stock (or ammo) for this action so it will probably be months until I get to test it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been told that one needs 0.020" to 0.030" clearance in a mauser mag to make up for cartridge cant. More than that can be a bonus if it allows you to play with longer seating depth.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering as I have an action marked 30 on the receiver. I took that to be that the action was made for a 30-06 cartridge. If that is so, would one need to do anything to the magazine box for a 25-06 cartridge?

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Famage already had alterations to the box and feed rails. Many were altered from 7x57 receivers if my memory is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
I was just wondering as I have an action marked 30 on the receiver. I took that to be that the action was made for a 30-06 cartridge. If that is so, would one need to do anything to the magazine box for a 25-06 cartridge?

Gracias,
Hoot

Posts: 3718 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I took that to be that the action was made for a 30-06 cartridge. If that is so, would one need to do anything to the magazine box for a 25-06 cartridge?

If a magazine and action are set up for a 20-06 with a OAL of 3.34 then the 25-06 using the same case but an OAL of 3.25 will work just fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been told that one needs 0.020" to 0.030" clearance in a mauser mag to make up for cartridge cant. More than that can be a bonus if it allows you to play with longer seating depth.

That is the kind of number I was wondering about. I suspected it was something in this range, but couldn't find it 'in print' in any of my books or online.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gracias,
Hoot

If the magazine is original to the action, a quick check of the length would confirm.

In my case, this action came to me completely bare. Not even an ejector box installed. Condition is perfect, not a speck of rust so I reassembled it with parts from my stash. Lapped a K98 bolt (handle already installed) and added bottom metal. That is why I had to lengthen.