New
Find
Notify
Tools

browning shotgun made by savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello guy's i ran across a browning mod 30 shotgun ser#58624 i was told by browning that this gun was made for westernfield by savage but they had no idea of when was made.My question is when was this made and anyone have idea where i could get a new barrel or have one made thnx help appreciated

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Tbear99,

Try <www.e-gunparts.com> for parts.

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
TBEAR99--

Just to clarify a little bit---

Savage never made guns "for" Browning, but there were several Browning designs made by Savage. Some of those were contract guns with JC Higgins, Westernfield and other names on them.

The Model 30 Savage is no where near a Browning design........IF you're talking about a pump shotgun.

The JMB pump shotgun designs were Model 520, 530, and 550. They're identifiable by a multi-tenoned joint between the barrel/magazine assembly and the receiver seen just forward of the loading port on the bottom.

There was also an auto shotgun. I think the models were 720, 74x, 75x, and 77x with a LOT of extra model numbers in there. They're long recoil autos with a distinct resemblance to the A-5 but parts arent interchangeable.

If you could describe the gun some I'll try to stir up some more memory and try to tell you more about it.

Jack First Dist has a bunch of these parts and their catalog is good reference material.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington Model 11 was built on the Browning Patent. I'm not sure about parts interchageablity, but some undoubtedly will interchange. The Savage (and Stevens) long-recoil auto was built on the same operating principal and, as Jack says, while it bears a great deal of resemblance to the Browning Auto-5, it is a different gun. Charles Daly also marketed an Auto-5 clone, but I can't remember where it was produced (I think Japan). The Italian Franchi 48-AL is similar in operation, but a different design and no parts will even be close to interchanging.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes it is a browning pump mod 30 ser 58624 and it does have the downward grooves on the action slide and does have the hump.appreciate the replies so far thnx again any info helps

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
TBEAR99--

Would you please post the other markings on that gun? How is it marked and where. Any proofs or patent numbers and dates....what are ALL the markings on the receiver?

I'm thinking that if you have a Browning shotgun that I've never heard of and is in none of my reference books........your chance of finding an extra barrel laying around is about the same as buying a dozen Fabrege' eggs at the grocery store. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe so far this may cross reference into the stevens mod 520 according to some replies as far as markings the gun is rusted bad and can't read barrel except browning and 12ga the mod 30 can be read on left side of reciever at bottom

<JBelk>
posted
TBEAR99--

I think the "Browning" you're seeing on the barrel is 'Browning's pat'd #xxxxxxx' The second line, if there, are the dates.

Is the barrel only 18 inches or so? The military used a Model 530 as a riot gun in some units. I had them and Model 12 Winchesters in Korea in 1965 in an artillery battalion. I seem to remember the handguard could be removed but it left a cross pin cut in the barrel exposed.

The first pheasant I ever killed was in Korea using a M-12 trench gun and No. 1 buck. Tricky pattern and backstop problems using this combination. [Smile]