New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding H&S Precision Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone noticed a difference in a glass bedded vs non-bedded H&S stock. I'm referring to a Remington 700 action in the H&S stock.

Some people I know suggest skim bedding the whole bedding block to receiver surface.

Others just suggested bedding the recoil lug and first inch or so of the barrel.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of bedding mine to see if it helps. Just don't want to waste the time if it hasn't worked for anyone else.

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Darrel Holland has a nice two video set that walks you through bedding an H&S stock. I can look up the name if you are interested.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine has 5 the HS Precision stocks on Rem 700 actions. All have Jewell triggers, match grade barrels varying from normal factory sporting rifle contour through to Heavy Varmint benchrest contour. Four of them are in 264 Winchester and one is a 7mm Rem.

As soon as he had the stocks and barreled actions I bedded 3 of them in the way i would normally bed a Rem 700, that is, the front of the action, the tang, nothing in the middle of the action (free flaoting between and front and tang) and noting under the barrel.

As an experimeny the other two were shot without bedding. One shot good to start with but after a couple of range sessions it went off. The other one did not shoot from the start.

All 5 are now bedded.

But nothing suprising there because it does not matter how well HS Precision makes the stocks the actions are not consistent or round.

Having said that, there were accuracy barreled actions with Nightforce scopes so accuracy requirements were high.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GLC,
My experience with 6 rifles is mixed to say the least. I think it's only worth it if you think the rifle has more potential than the groups your seeing. The six:
Two HS Sporter 2000LA - couldn't shoot any better so didn't bed, both well below 1/2 MOA w/ BR scope, fit of stock to action didn't look that good.
Sendero w/ factory HS - I'm pretty sure it helped, the fit (rub marks) were not uniform and were very limited. I skimmed a little accra gel behind the lug and back under the front action screw and under the tang. After bedding I tried a load that had showed promise and it was a winner.
Three factory Rem 700s - I don't think skim bedding help on any of these, all shoot about the same in any of the stocks I've tried, HS w and w/o skim bed and Browns.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess bedding it couldn't hurt any. The rifle is Rem 700, #4 Kreiger barrel, 308 Win. in the H&S stock. Shoots generally excellent groups but I seem to get an unexplained flyer out of the group once in a while. I mean, like an inch out of the group.

The clearance in the recoil lug area seems pretty generous. I thought if I tightened this up a little with glass that it might help. I'll have to pull the stock and check the contact area and look for signs of any movement or poor fit.

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote