New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firing pin springs....
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
How often should you replace your springs?

Posts: 8036 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Are you talking coil springs, like in an M98 Mauser? If so, they should last forever! If you are talking flat springs, like in old Winchesters and SAA Colts, I replace them when they break!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bakes, I have replaced the striker springs on surplus M98s - VZ-24s. Had one that would not fire surplus Yugo or Turk ammo. Replaced with a Wolff 24" (picked 24# weight on the advice of crufflers forum members) Blitzschnell spring.

Also used Wolff springs to rejuvenate my 7.62 Broomhandle, replaced the recoil, firing pin, and hammer springs. Had installed the Wolff magazine spring, it was too stiff, too much pressuse on bottom of the bolt, would not function. Backed off and put the factory spring back, perfect functioning now. -Fred

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Fred
I was reading an article by David Tubb on speed kits. He said to replace the coil springs for rifles every year. I don't think the spring on my M96 has ever been replaced and it got me thinking.

Posts: 8036 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day Bakes,
These ramblings may inteerest you.
Obviously the rifle must not have headspace issues and proper firing pin function to start with.

I have read many different ideas on this spring thing.
For maximum spring life and reliable function,
It comes down to what the spring is made out of ,how many times you fire your rifle ,the design of your firing pin assembly etc.
Remington use around 22-24 LB springs and Stolle etc use similar.
Nesika used around 23lb springs in the BR actions and 28 LB in the Tactical rifles.
The BR action springs have been reduced to around 18 Lbs { { have one in My Model J] with no decrease in ignition or accuracy,this also had the advantage of a Lighter ,smoother bolt lift.
I have read a report by one of the Custom action makers { Viper] doing tests with one of his actions and a small firing pin diameter 0.062 get down to around 10 Lb spring with no measurable ignition or accuracy problems .
The SAAMI specification for uniform primer ignition is only 0.013 dent in the primer.{ Thanks to Ron Ives at Federal primers] so it really does not take much force for uniform ignition.

You can measure your firing pin spring weight or check firing pin spring for free length against standard specification for your type of rifle.
Then make a decision on wether it needs replacing.
It is no different to checking a valve spring for example in your car.
Also check if the spring is binding in the bolt body due to fatigue stopping uniform firing etc.

Gotta get a Cuppa,

Good luck,

Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charlie. I'm toying with the idea to dress up the old girl (my M96)I was thinking of a speed kit,re-crown,re-blue,nice stock and such. I'll have to think about it more.