New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have plans to have a 264 win mag built. The question I have been thinking about is
1. Build on a new Mod 70 CRF action
2. On a pre 64 action.

Will there be any real difference in value once completed?
Either action will have the full treatment so I don't really see why I would need a pre-64.
Thanks for any help

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmy

You and I both know that I don't know anything, but since nobody else is saying anything, I will participate by saying that in looking at a lot of auctions and sales involving custom rifles, including pre-64 and classic model 70's, it would appear that there are so many variables that it would be difficult to determine in advance as to what difference there might be in value when using the different actions. (accuracy, caliber, name on barrel, quality of stock, maker, accessories, all might make more of a difference than which action you use)

In your case, the "Westerner" hasn't been a very popular caliber for awhile now, and I suspect that no matter which action you use you take the risk that what you put into the gun might not be the same you would get out of it, given an arms length transaction between a willing buyer and a willing seller.

But then, you are having it made for you own enjoyment rather than to sell it, and individual enjoyment is pretty hard to measure in terms of monetary value.

The short answer to your question is that you can't take your money with you when you leave this earth, so you might just as well spend it on guns while you are here!

Come back on and show us the Rifle when you get it done.

Blue

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Jimmy

Since less than seven percent of all pre-64 rifles were chambered to the short magnum series(264, 300 win mag, 338, 458) of cartridges they are obviously fairly desireable. If you add the H&H rifles you still are talking about less than sixteen percent of all pre-64s chambered for belted magnum rounds. Since the 270 accounted for about twenty-one percent and the 30-06 for about another thirty-six percent it would appear that one of these two actions would most likely end up being your "Donor" action if you choose a pre-64 action. Since there would be added cost to change the action to a magnum round and to ensure feeding properly I would think it might be best to start with a new "Classic" style action. I doubt it would make much if any difference in the end value of the rifle and could possibly cost a bit less in the long run.

Who knows, you might end up saving enough to get a nicer stock or possibly have Scrollcutter engrave it for you. That would add more value to the finished product than if it was based on a pre-64 action versus a new "Classic".

P.S. I may be full of it too.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, you hit on what I was thinking. I have a Newer 300 donor action and want Mark Stratton to do a 28" octagon barrel.
As ol'blue stated, there are only a handful of 264 nuts out there like myself. I have a very nice Super Grade stock that would look real good with this set up. I have also talked to scrollcutter about a bit of gold inlay and a tad bit of engraving but I need to get him "half way to Enterprize" before we settle on a price (he's riding with me)

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Jimmy

What else are you going to do for (as my wife calls them) excessories on that Westerner. Are you going to leave the stock alone or do anything extra to it. How about sight work and scope mounts and all of those other excessories.

Blue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, if you find a suitable pre 64, you can sell the unused parts to pay for most of the changes needed on the action. AND if you don't use a pre 64, you will always wish you had. I think the pre 64 may sell faster if you ever wanted to get rid of it but doubt if the value would be much different.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I hear ya bout the pre 64 I really doubt I would ever offer it for sale but if for some reason I get called to the big huntin lodge in the sky, it was a thought on value.
As to the rings and bases I saw a picture of some rings that had an oblong cut out on each side that sort of looked neat, with just a touch of engraving.

The good part is if I ever do make that trip up in the sky, I have a great gun show partner that would handle the sale of my guns for the wife and kids

<Guest>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
blue, I have seen that one and even talked to Brian about it. I just pasted up an even nicer one on GB that sold for 631.00. I'm just a cheap bastard I want to steal one if I'm going to part it out.
I can always find and 06 and have it opened up for the 264 if I decide to go with a pre 64.
If I decide to sell my 06/22LR mauser I might even be able to afford a nice chunk of wood to have chic carve on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am somewhat biased where this question is concerned, I bought my first Mod. 70 in Jan. 1968, it was an unfired "Alaskan" in .338 Win., I have it yet and would never sell it, even for $25,000.

I have owned 33 of these rifles and hold them in very high esteem because they WORK, even in the most vile conditions. They represent the USA during it's finest days and are an example of craftsmanship and value that today's riflemakers would do well to emulate.

I would ONLY use a Pre-64 for your project, I have a minty, original "Westerner" and it is a very much under-appreciated rifle and cartridge. My rifle will shoot sub-moa groups with 140 Nossies at 3250 without any pressure signs, in fact, I can no longer shoot well enough to use it's entire potential.

I hope you do it with a Pre-64, there are still lots of them out there and the rifle will be a "keeper".

one of us
posted Hide Post
kutenaymtnboy, I have owned and collected pre-64's for about 35 years but sold off the entire collection several years ago. The 264 is my all time sweetie and I used one for about 20 years. Out of a half dozen 264's I never had one that would not shoot great.
This project will probably be a pre-64, I had just mowed the lawn and must have had a tad bit of "heat stroke" to even think otherwise