Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Christmas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
SDH is "gnmkr", butchlambert. Confusing, no?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker,
Very nice shape to that stock. After having to shape one by hand I can only dream of having such tools as yours! Keep up the teaching for us students of the craft.
Jeff P

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that I am confused. Not too hard to do though. I hope that neither of these 2 gunmakers or other gnmkrs are bothered by my confusion. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, its after Christmas and I am looking forward to seeing a photo of the whole thing all done up and ready to go.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Well, its after Christmas and I am looking forward to seeing a photo of the whole thing all done up and ready to go.

So am I!

Too much has happened since starting this thread. Now I've got some time to devote to finishing this project. Hope to post more progress pics soon!

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Finally fixed my CNC and got the 270 WIN engraved on the barrel with it. Got the checkering layed out on the forearm and first pass with my left handed Dorian electric tool. I'll try and get the grip layed out & first pass tomorrow and post some pics.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

How are you coming on that Video on "Stocking from the Block using a mill and hand tools".

I am looking forward to buying a copy.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
It's getting closer to Christmas!
Should darken up with some finish.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That is just getting better & better, can't wait to see the final result!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a few pics of the 270 Win. Wish I could take pics like SDH.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice James!
And a mere three month elapse time!

As for the pix, the border you used is very distracting. The photo quality is good, just burned. To cut down the glare, either use a circular polarizer, bounce the light off of a reflector and back onto the gun, or both.

The rifle has great basic architecture and I particularly enjoy the grip cap tight up against the toe line.
Congrats on a fine job, finished!
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I would call form follows function. That thing is so classy looking. Nothing there that shouldn't be, and everything exactly where it should be. Beautiful craftsmanship.

One thing out of curiousity. Looks like it has a lower than normal drop at the heel. Is the rifle for a large shooter?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
SDH
I see what you mean about the border. Never heard of a circular polarizer, not sure if they make one for my digital camera......Canon Power Shot A75. The lens pops in and out like a jack in the box. I'm sure I could find the filter for my Canon A1 or AL1, but then my scanner is junk and you don't get that instant jpeg file you can email to the customer and slap online to share in cyberspace. Thanks for the comments..... Tighter toe is better in my workshop.

22WRF
It's got a 13.75" pull and a little more drop than newer production rifles. A little drop makes it look a little faster, more like a rifle stock and less like a paddle. It's got low rings and center of scope comes up just right. Trying to build rifles that don't look like something from a certain era, just something that the customer can pass on to his kids in 50 years and retain the look like everything's still in the right place.

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
That's a real nice gun G.M. Get some swivels in it and get rid of it. I've some 416 Rigby GMA metal for you and it's handle making time again.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker--

What is the finish on this rifle?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Cool
Tru oil
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, but the metal finish. OOPS!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've been programming the wrong type of computers all my life. Instead of writing financial software I could have been doing CNC and making something useful instead. I've noted that most
cad/cam software, especially 3d, is outragiously
expensive. Are there any accpetable substitutes
for Windows or preferably Linux out there? How about just writing the G-code directly?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!