Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with bolt problem
 Login/Join

posted
I have a post 64 winchester model 70 push feed that when on 1st position saftey the bolt handle if slightly opened the firing pin will slowly slide foward, but not completely. It can still be fired if the bolt handle is pushed down, although it takes alot of finger strength to pull the trigger. With the saftey in the 2nd position the bolt is locked and that works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can rectify this problem would be greatly appreciated, or does anyone know what would cause this problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thirtycaliber,
A friend of mine just recently purchased one of the Blsck Shadow rifles from Wal-Mart. His had a similar problem with the safety. It worked normal if you racked the bolt, applied the safety, released the safety, and pulled the trigger. The problem arose when you applied the safety a second time. It would then be darn near impossible to release, and trigger pull went off the scale. It was entirely in the bolt/safety interface, as changing out the bolt assembly from another rifle worked perfectly in this action. And the problem moved to the other rifle. I finally convinced him to send it back to USRAC for repairs.
Interestingly, Wal-Mart wouldn't exchange this rifle. It was still new-in-the-box, and hadn't been fired. With all the safety-conscious foofraw, I would have thought they would have been glad to exchange a rifle with any kind of safety issue. T'wasn't the case.
Anyway, send it back to Winchester. Sounds as if they might have an issue with bolt assembly.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, but this rifle is of 1965 vintage and I don't have another like it to change out the bolt, all my others are control round feel"CLAW". I was just wondering if anyone had a simple fix for it. I really hate going to the gunsmith when I can do something myself. Maybe if I get in touch with Winchester they'll have an answer. This is my favorite hunting rifle that was handed down to me from my dad. I always hunt with this rifle from here in NY to Canada.