Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 model 70 7x57 - authentication
 Login/Join

posted
I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-64 era winchester model 70 super grade in the 7x57. Have the Dean Whitaker book on the model 70 and so-far everything checks out, but for the money I will spend for this rifle, I'm wondering if I could find a true expert on authenticating this rifle. Any assistance/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 16 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre '64 Model 70's had serial numbers BELOW 700,000. Hope that helps. My info says that standard production for that chambering ran from 1937-1949, regarding Super Grades don't have a clue. Value listed for this chambering as of 2002 is $700-3100 with a 100% markup on Supergrades.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of model 70s and a lot of fakes. I can help you out and have you look for some things that most people would miss. Send me a PM with a full description along with any pictures. We'll get you squared away!

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My favorite fake was a pre-war Supergrade in 458 Win Mag. Saw it at a Wyoming gun show, purported to be original by it's owner. I tried to be polite when I asked how that could possibly be. The best eventual story the guy could come up with was that it was assembled in the late 50's at the factory with a left over pre-war action.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A member of our club who has passed on worked at Winchester as a gunsmith and machinest. He said that they put stuff together as it was found. Almost any combo might be found anywhere. Some guys took stuff home too.

He had some Super Grade floor plates for sale at $75 each. I have no idea where his stuff is now.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99 is correct. Especially for the 7x57. They had a "clean-up" year around 1955 where they assembeld quite a few complete rifles out of the extra barrels they had laying around.

You need to check the serial number for year of manufacture, the stock configuration (I think there are 3 super grade configurations), pull the barreled action from the stock to see the markings underneath, the front sight should be a Lyman or a Redfield, etc.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote