Find
Notify
Tools

What band saw blade?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Just curious what do you guys use on your band saw to rough cut your blanks?

I have a 14" and have been using a 1/2" 3tpi hook ceramic guides. But I seem to be doing a lot more burning than I think I should be. Can keep the burn down but need to keep the feed rate just below motor speed reduction.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I use a 3/8 4tpi. I had a similar problem. I thought it was the cheap blade that came with the machine. It may have been but I also lowered the rpm of the blade and think that helped as much as the new blade.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Use a "bi-metal" blade and it needs to run slow with a fast feed rate (high pressure). The pitch (number of teeth per inch) needs to fit the size of the work. 4tpi seems a bit low to me but your saw may be different. I like to use 8 to 12 tpi with the coolant on just fast enough to keep the chips out of the cut.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to use 8 to 12 tpi with the coolant on just fast enough to keep the chips out of the cut

Coolant? Cutting Walnut? I'm Confused

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anytime I put on a new blade and get it tuned I always take a hand held medium grit honing stone to the running blade and smooth the back edge of the blade. This reduces the drag resistance a great deal that will reduce wood burning.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
Use a "bi-metal" blade and it needs to run slow with a fast feed rate (high pressure). The pitch (number of teeth per inch) needs to fit the size of the work. 4tpi seems a bit low to me but your saw may be different. I like to use 8 to 12 tpi with the coolant on just fast enough to keep the chips out of the cut.

You are cutting metal, the ramrod is cutting walnut stock blanks.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I did hit the rear of the blade with a stone. But I also remembered my blade lube stick and even better what box it was in. So just cut 6 1/16" pieces off the end of a claro blank in about the time it took to think about it. Not a mark on them.

I also think I need to watch my radius while using that 1/2" blade.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K