New
Find
Notify
Tools

zg47 thread /receiver dia. Q.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
large ring std. mausers are typically 1.42" dia. with 1.100" thread....and it is generally not recommended that one reduce an 1.100" thread mauser to a small ring dia.
However,looking at the zg47, it comes from the factory with a flat that drops well below the 1.42"....and all ive ever heard is praise for the zg47.
The smallring Brno model 21, also has such a flat.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
flat that drops well below the 1.42"....

Wonder why they do that? Does it serve a purpose?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once saw an interview with a giant basktball player.

"Well..ya know, I don't know..ya know"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flat is there to see the miniscule iron sights. Wink

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be that they got by with it because the steel used is a better quality steel?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It is a totaly unnecessary operation that adds cost to the action.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't waste a lot of time worrying about it, I have never seen or heard of a defect with a Brno ZG or 21/22 series action, I currently own six rifles and one action of these and they are the finest I have ever had or seen, including my M-S, Dakota 76, Oberndorf Type B and so on.

The Brno rifles are generally of very high quality and excellent design and they SHOOT, I would gladly swap all my P-64s, HVAs and all the rifles mentioned above for ZGs and 21/22s, were they available.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Could it be that they got by with it because the steel used is a better quality steel?

That could well be.
If the xtra surrounding metal of the LR was not required, then why bother going to the xtra hassle of producing it LR?
so technically,can we grind LR FN mausers to 1.3"dia. without concern?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that such a modification did not affect the heat treatment of a given Mauser, which it very well might, one certainly could do this. The FN factory made a number of SR FNs used in early Browning Safari rifles in the relatively high pressure .243W. and .308W. rounds and I have never heard of one having problems.

Some years ago, I saw a "mountain rifle" built on a re-chambered .308W in .300WM on one of these and it had not disintegrated. I would not do this, but, would put .280R and .270W. into one of these actions and the SR HVAs never seem to develop problems when such rounds are used.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Dewey, the message im gettin is;
technically, one can safely grind an LR-Fn[1.100"thread] to 1.3"dia., have it reheatreated & barreled in an std.magnum.... popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would doublecheck with someone like Duane Weibe and I stress, I am only posting what I have SEEN, not what I would do. I see no real benefit to spending the $$$$ involved to do this and save a very little weight. YMMV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dewey

Do you know the story as to why BRNO quit making all of those nice actions?