Notify
Tools

Inletting Dye Tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
This for us amateurs - like me.

I've never liked the black inletting stuff you can buy. Doesn't go on that well, can be uneven, and is messy.

I just tried something new. A blue washable crayon marker. Not the permanent Sharpies, but one you can wash with water. WOW - so much easier than the dye. I'm sure the Sharpies work as well - especially the wide ones, but the washable Crayon worked great!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'll give it a try.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sot from a candle or a kerosine lamp is my favorite inletting dye! Easy and fast to apply, like it the best of all metods with markers, crayons, shoeshine etc.

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I meant to post this a while back, but got busy....

I found the perfect alternative to inletting black: Dry Erase markers. Theses are the felt markers teachers use on whiteboards.

I found dry erase markers to be so far superior to inletting black that I don't see myself ever going back to that messy stuff.

Advantages of Dry-Erase markers:
-Available anywhere school supplies are sold
-Inexpensive
-Not messy
-Easy clean-up(just wipe off with a dry cloth)
-Very thin coating leaves accurate marking on wood
-Come in a wide range of colors(you will have no trouble finding one that provides contrast with the stock wood)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thalo blue
paint store

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
blue washable crayon marker

or a dry erase marker, almost the same thing. A great idea for inletting!

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry erase marker, I like it! I've got a couple stocks comin' up and I'll be trying it. Thanks Jason !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Did a Mannlicher cap today with it - worked great.

Yes - I think Dry Erase would be even better - not as "wet" as a crayon marker.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote