New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless steel vs. blued action
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
What are the benefits of a stainless steel action vs. blued? Is stainless stronger?

Thanks,

Al

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Stainless rusts more slowly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Smith:
What are the benefits of a stainless steel action vs. blued? Is stainless stronger?

Thanks,Al...there are many different versions of both steels and as the other post states Stainless.Rust more slowly...it wil also take nicks and bangs of gun use and won't show the scars quite as bad as the shinny strach on a nice blue surface ...some stainless bbls are more resistant to throat errosion....some bbl makers prefer one to the other due to machining charateristics....smoother..softer..less chatter on reamer....this is from reading and feedback from gunsmiths...there are a lot of strong feeling about this among some very good gunsmiths/builders....I own both and like each for their style...stainless and synthetic stock....nice deep blue and nicely figured walnut..warm and friendly to the eye and touch???..its sort of sports car....comfortable sedan....SUV....depends on your likes and your use of the gun and style...good luck and good shooting!!!

Al

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but new interests Smiler

What are the main differences between the two?

Is it true that some stainless steel barrels become more brittle in extreme cold?

For the record, I have used stainless in extreme cold (-50 below zero as an example) while on winter caribou hunts and have never encountered any problems. Also, I think Phil Shoemaker spoke very highly of Stainless steel...

I am thinking of a stainless steel barrel and action, so if there are pros/cons to a stainless steel action, I am also interested in what you have to say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use only stainless barrels and actions due to their added corrosion resistance and the fact that some of the best barrel makers only make stainless barrels.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, I agree with you 100%. That's why my current rifle is Stainless Steel but maybe we've just been lucky Wink

I am just "second guessing" or "testing the latest info" about them. For instance, here is what one guy had to say:
quote:

Several arms companies have recently offered hunting rifles with a
stainless steel barrel. Here's some cautionary information about
stainless steel barrels.

When the temperature goes down, stainless steel has less fatigue
resistance. Its physical properties drop off with temperature.
There have been instances of stainless barrels in hunting rifles
bursting when the ambient temperature is around zero degrees, or
less.

Some custom barrel makers specifically caution against using their
stainless barrels in hunting rifles. One (Krieger) doesn't even
make sporting/hunting barrels in stainless steel. In a conversation
with B.J. Obermeyer some years ago, he told me that some of his
stainless barrels were installed in hunting rifles and used in
Alaska winter-time hunts. Some of these barrels burst when fired.

Chrome-moly (i.e., type 4140 or 4150) barrels maintain their fatigue
resistance very well in really cold temperatures. Stainless steel
(i.e, type 416R), typically used for rifle barrels, is the really
cold-weather culprit.

Is what this guy saying make any sense? I sure haven't had any problems...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer CM actions to SS. Why? The SS actions seem to be sticky when you work them, I prefer the feel of a CM action.

Some actions can sadly only be had as SS - most notably the custom actions used for BR (Nesika, BAT, Stiller etc). That is a pity, just in case you want to build on one of these actions and you happen to be after the blue/wood look. Yes, you can coat SS very well these days, but it is still not the same as blued steel.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For many, many years the quality (consistency) of stainless was higher than Chromoly. Because it was more expensive a lot more personal attention went into the making of stainless alloys in the foundries.
Now days with all computer controlled mixing of alloys and digital temperature monitoring I would think that there is little or no difference in quality.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One (Krieger) doesn't even
make sporting/hunting barrels in stainless steel.

Judging from the fact that many people including myself own kreiger barreled hunting rifles,I thing that this fellow is misinformed.As for the temperature effecting stainless barrels,I have fired stainless barreled rifles in temperatures down to -30 myself with no problems.In fact anyone that hunts in alberta or saskatchewan during november has discharged their rifles in very cold temperatures.A great many of these people are using stainless barrels and I have no first hand knowledge of one ever bursting.With todays society where a company would most certainly get sued if a barrel was to burst,due you honestly think that the manufacturers would even sell stainless barrels if they were not safe in cold weather?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The idea that really cold temps affect stainless barrels adversely is largely BS started by the original owner of Krieger. I once talked to the shop manager there who pretty much confirmed it was personal prejudice and largely unfounded in reality. I prefer stainless as I can bead blast it every decade and make it look new. Like Bruce said though, it just "rusts more slowly"... that's funny!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:
One (Krieger) doesn't even
make sporting/hunting barrels in stainless steel.

Judging from the fact that many people including myself own kreiger barreled hunting rifles,I thing that this fellow is misinformed.As for the temperature effecting stainless barrels,I have fired stainless barreled rifles in temperatures down to -30 myself with no problems.In fact anyone that hunts in alberta or saskatchewan during november has discharged their rifles in very cold temperatures.A great many of these people are using stainless barrels and I have no first hand knowledge of one ever bursting.With todays society where a company would most certainly get sued if a barrel was to burst,due you honestly think that the manufacturers would even sell stainless barrels if they were not safe in cold weather?

I didn't even see that. roflmao I'm going to be very disappointed when the stainless steel Krieger barrel that I ordered back in April comes in today. I'd hate to have waited for 5 months and not get what I ordered. Eeker

Actually the last time I looked, Krieger wouldn't make their smallest profile barrels in stainless.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually the last time I looked, Krieger wouldn't make their smallest profile barrels in stainless.

But they do make .243" barrels in a #1 contour and .308" barrels in a #2 contour both of which are very light contours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kreiger does make their smallest profile in stainless, but not 416R. I believe that it is 410. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of fact, I would estimate 90% of rifles being sold in the gun stores in the Anchorage area of Alaska are Stainless. Up here at least the market is that strong. It is getting more and more difficult to sell a used or new blued rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've waited five months for a barrel from Krieger, Fjold? I got mine in 60 days-- and it was a custom one-off, fluted and 31" long. Maybe they've been busy...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with most barrel makers, if you order while they are running what you want or are getting ready to, you are ok. If they just ran your size, you are in the back of the line in their production cycle. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote