New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue pillarbed stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you think about Hogue pillarbed stocks? Do they really improve accuracy? I plan to buy one for my Ruger 77MkII .300 Win mag. Thanks - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put one of those on a 300 Win Ruger 77, and I was POSITIVELY impressed with how well it fit.

The gun shot very well afterwards, so I sure would do it again.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good to hear as I would like to get rid of my boat paddle stock on my 30/06, I reckon it would shoot better with a better stock.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced the "boat paddle" stock of my .338WM Ruger M77 MK-II with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded (with pillars), and the action fit perfectly. I don't know if the new stock helped my rifle shoot much better than before (only fired 3 shots to test it), but I am certain it shoots at least the same if not better.

One thing I immediately noticed is that the stock's grip doesn't feel cold, and the stock will help tame recoil much better than the old one. I didn't have any problems with recoil before, but it does feel better on my shoulder. Keep in mind that Hogue also makes another stock with a full-aluminum bed. This one costs around $200.00, while the one I bough costs $100.00 at Cabela's.

A friend of mine used a stock like mine for his .375 H&H, and he too likes it. Pretty hard for a .338 user to admit that his .375 looks pretty nice with a short barrel and the new stock ! [Mad]

[ 06-11-2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked it so much better than the boat paddle that I put one on a 416 Taylor Ruger 77 Mark II. Works great. It will fix problems rather than cause problems, IMHO, namely the boat paddle issue. The $99 dollar stock I got came from a Bass Pro Shop. What a buy!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much better is the full aluminium bedded model, is it worth the extra money??

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've only purchased one. I didn't have the same success as the others. The barrel rode hard against one side and it was the most difficult stock to cure of that problem. Meaning I had a hard time getting a clean, straight edge with the rubber coating. Other than that I really liked the feel of the stock. It feels much better in my hands than my McMillan. It's not near as stiff and it is heavy so I can't say it's as good, but my rifle shot well with it. I may try another. dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey did you get the full aluminium bedding block?? if so is it worth the extra money??

Are there many advantages of the Full bedding block model??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hogue overmolded with the full aluminum bedding block for a Rem. 700 I would like to sell. It was on a 416 Rem, so the owner added some weight to the front of the stock to help with recoil. The feel and grip of these stocks is fantastic and the rifles I've had bolted into this stock was rock solid and accurate with the bedding block and pillars. E-mail me if you're interested.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
PC
No, I bought the pillar bedded stock and then bedded it. Whether it's worth it is probably a matter of opinion. Mine shot fine and I wouldn't bet the full block would shoot better with the particular rifle I it on. dempsey

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I also replaced the boat paddle with a Hogue..what a difference in feel and felt recoil. I would definitely recommend it. I put it on a .270 Winchester and plan on doing a couple more as the pocket allows.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I put a pillar bedded Hogue on my mod 70 300 WSM and I like it. Groups (from the new factory barrel) with 165 grainers run 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. The rubber overmolding gives a feel of complete control. I didn't have to bed this one like I did the HS Precision stock on my 22-6mm.
Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote