THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hood for Williams Streamlined Ramp - Fit Question

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hood for Williams Streamlined Ramp - Fit Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ordered this hood from Numrich and it arrived.

Part is as described and will work fine with a little fitting required. The slot in the hood needs to be widened from .180" to .250" to fit on the sight. That's no problem.

But I think there should be some means of securing the hood so it doesn't get knocked off and lost (recoil shouldn't be much of an issue - it's on a 6.5 x 55...).

The grooves in the ramp are smooth, with no notch or anything. The hood, incidentally, has a very shallow notch on each side of the slot, midway down.

What do you guys recommend? Loctite? A set screw? Or...?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you simply order a Williams hood for $5.99?

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're both Williams hoods. The onlyiest difference is that the one I ordered has the authentic (for my aftermarket model) checkerd band around the front. It's a couple bucks more for that.

Pics/dimensions are otherwise identical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought several of the williams over the last two years and they all had the band. Fit the ramp perfectly.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams ramps have never had any sort of hood retainer other than friction. This has always been a sore point with me and so I never use them.

One fairly simple solution would be to drill a small(tiny) hole through the side of the ramp's male hood groove and then insert a short tight-fitting pin, leaving just enough of the rounded pin end protruding to serve as a detent for a matching notch in the hood's female groove. This is the method used by Redfield and Burris for their hood retention. It ain't perfect but it works fairly well.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. I might use a pin, but I'm kinda leaning towards a set screw. We'll see...

Art, This ramp is old (I guess, from the box) and is .340" wide, not .250" like the newer ones!

The grooves are .045" deep, resulting in the slot needing to be .250".

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Hoods were never intended to be used in place. They are there for protecting the front sight only and are to be removed before you shoot.
Now if you want it to stay on but be able to remove it with little effort then machine the grove slightly undersize and with a bit of a tapper so it wedges itself in place

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should I tell my BPCR friends...? Eeker

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ramp is the screw-on type. Perhaps that accounts for the extra width?