THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ishapore 2A1, how does it extract/eject?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I was observing how a Lee-Enfield rifle extracts and ejects brass, I learned that the ejector will work only if the case head is large enough for the extractor to push it against receiver raceway and ejector screw.

Then I slipped a .308Win brass into the bolt face, found out that the case is not large enough to be ejected properly.

I understand that Ishapore 2A1 is designed for .308 Winchester, now I have a "SMLE in .45 ACP" project, .45 ACP, having a headsize close to .308 Winchester, learning how an re-designed Lee-Enfield handles the smaller casehead will help solving the problem in the .45 ACP project. I would like to hear how an Ishapore 2A1 is re-designed so it would eject a smaller case which a .303 SMLE will not do.

Thanks for help.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pyrotech--

I should have read this post first.

I haven't seen one of the rifles you refer to, but the bolt head must be smaller (or a notch cut for the ejector in a large one) and the extractor hook is longer. The ejector is simply a longer screw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot the bolt action .308s from Ischapore (military calibers cannot be owned by "more equal" Indians in India), but knowing their overall quality standards, please steer clear of their junk. You might put your life and limbs in danger if you try to shoot any of the trash they turn out.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<charles adams>
posted
.303 British - rimmed case, .308 / 7.62 NATO - rimless case.
I assume the rifle is marked 7.62 NATO rather than .308?
Whilst the cartridges are not identical under SAAMI conventions, many people shoot either from the same rifle. Problems can emerge if you reload commercial brass that has been fired in a military chamber. This will not apply to your .45 project of course.
Turning to your question re ejection - 7.62 Lee Enfields have the ejector screw removed. It is replaced by a small projection which is welded or formed on the magazine lip, at the rear on the left as you look down through the open bolt.
Incidentally, I do not agree completely with Mehul's comments - Ishapore rifles are noted for the quality of their steel and construction - at least the one's I've handled.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The several 2A's I have shot all seem to jam on the 2nd to last shot out of the mag.I was thinking the were designed that way. I haven't seen one that wouldn't.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2 I shot didn't feed, or eject very well. I would think that you could use a .45acp magazine.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The #4 I just barreled to 7.62 extracts and ejects like a hot damn with the original extractor hook and the ejector screw in place. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<shall>
posted
I have a 2A and also have difficulty with ejection. The case extracts just fine but is left on top of the magazine. The ejectors makes not contact with the case and is a bit of a mystery as it seems to be a holdover from the 303 design. I made an experimental ejector of adjustable longer length but it would interfere with the bolt before it would make contact with the brass. I then bent the upper lip of the magazine to act as the ejector and now it works after a fashion. The good news is the barrel is very good and groups for a mil rifle of the is type will please you. I find that the chamber is a bit long and does stretch the case more than I like but if you neck size I believe the case life will be just fine. I shoot a lot of mil surplus with good results. Mine had been shortened to a 20 inch barrel and it makes a very handy bush gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I got lucky with mine. My 2A1 feeds and extracts flawlessly. But as a friend of mine said, "Damn that's the ugliest rifle I've ever seen."

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all. Now I don't have "fear of ejection"

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote