Find
Notify
Tools

Removing broken scope ring screw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I decided to remount a scope on my original Ruger 10/22 I bought over 30 years ago. I wanted to compare its accuracy w/ a second Ruger 10/22. The loser gets a new barrel and stock. One of the screws attaching the bottom/top half of a scope ring broke. Mad The remnant is slightly recessed in the bottom ring. I've never had this happen before. Burris torx screws from a new Burris ring fit the old ring. How do I remove the broken remnant of the screw? I've got a Dremel tool w/ a number of small drills. Do I just drill a hole through the middle of what's left of the screw? Confused

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
Hey guys,
I decided to remount a scope on my original Ruger 10/22 I bought over 30 years ago. I wanted to compare its accuracy w/ a second Ruger 10/22. The loser gets a new barrel and stock. One of the screws attaching the bottom/top half of a scope ring broke. Mad The remnant is slightly recessed in the bottom ring. I've never had this happen before. Burris torx screws from a new Burris ring fit the old ring. How do I remove the broken remnant of the screw? I've got a Dremel tool w/ a number of small drills. Do I just drill a hole through the middle of what's left of the screw? Confused

At the very least you are going to have to drill a hole as near center as possible and use a very small EZ out to remove it. Alternate plan (B) will require you to drill the entire screw out and chase the threads. This will take some expensive equipment and a little skill. Alternate plan (C) is replace the rings. You might be able to find a small EZ out at Home Depot.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,
Thanks for the help. Wink I looked closer at the problem screw and noticed that some of the screw protruded from the bottom of the ring. I applied some Kroil. There wasn't enough screw protruding to get a good grip w/ vice grips so I used the Dremel tool to cut a small slot. The broken screw came out easily w/ a screw driver. Big Grin Guess I should've looked closer at the beginning.

Sounds like I should still have screw extractor device around the shop, though.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Good Job there Gary, thats a slick fix. thumb

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the ring bottom and aluminum?

If so you are in luck.

Drill out the center of the screw and soak in with alum for 24 hours.

The steel screw will disolve. The aluminum is non ferus and will be un harmed.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got your screw out.

In the future (and when you have no protruding screw shank to work with), just select a drill bit that is as close as possible (but still a tad smaller) to the inside diameter of the female threads in the ring. Drill out the screw and you'll find that the screw's remaining thread remanants will usually either come out with it or will fall out on their own.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing luck plain old ingenuity

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, just out of curiousity, which 'bit' did you use on your Dremel to cut the slot and not get the ring too?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
I used the "cutting wheel."
I've frequently been known to make a prolong a 10 min project to one hour, but this one went really well, prob. 5 minutes total, including setup AND cleanup! Cutting the slot took bout 15 seconds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longshot,
That's an interesting fix. Never heard of that one before. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again and the ring is aluminum.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have tig welded a bead on broken base screws high enough to remove with pliers but everyone doesn't have access to a tig all the time.
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote