New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stupid question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think the reason for that particular practice, is that P.O. Ackley was so instrumental in blowing out cartridges for more capacity, that his name has become synonymous with the deed. Sort of like Kleenex is used for ANY tissue, no matter who makes 'em.... if you AI a cartridge, you are applying Ackley's principles to the cartridge, generically speaking.... so it gets his notation. I agree that others have done the same thing, but for whatever reason, his name has been associated with it....right or wrong. I have no problem with it at all....

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Fair question. Most of the other blown out ctg's do have someone else's name: Gibbs, Hawk, Arch, Epps, Scoville, Barnes, (Walterhog? ), etc. Most of these have different headspacing than their parent cases. Ackley's trademark characteristic (and what the term AI implies today) is that to be an Ackley Improved, the original ctg must be safe to fire in the Improved chamber. I do not know of a particular round named after P.O. Ackley that he did not improve first. Which are you refering to?

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
There is a thread on the first page of GS forum asking about the .270/.308 AI. Did he (PO) or didn't he? He well may have but I don't think I've run accross it or the.260AI that has been mentioned here abouts. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote