Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 1903-A3 rear tang hole?
 Login/Join

posted
I am restocking a Springfield 1903-A3 and the stock I am using does not have the rear tang metal "pipe" (I don't know what it is actually called) that goes in the wood for the rear screw. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one? Many thanks...Randy

Posts: 88 | Location: Lexington, Ky | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Randy,

I believe what you're referring to is a "guard screw bushing" as is present on Mausers.

The Springfield doesn't have one. (at least that I'm aware of......and I've been disassembling them since I was a kid)

One of the reasons might be that the rear guard screw on a Springfield is at an angle, and wouldn't mate parallel surfaces on such a bushing. It is well to insure that the screw has ample clearence within the hole....and that it doesn't touch anywhere.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info....Appreciate it. Randy

Posts: 88 | Location: Lexington, Ky | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Every M1903A3 stock that I own has the rear tang bushing in place. I always look at the bushing when I go into a A3 and make sure that the bushing is just under flush with the wood. If not I tap the bushing out and file it down a bit until it is just under flush top and bottom. If the bushing sticks out above and below the wood the rear of the tang will never tighten down it will float around and your groups will suffer. Just my observation over the years.
Len

Posts: 11 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Filing the tang bushing I think is bad advice. Shortin it and over tightening the screws can bind the action.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandView:
Randy,

I believe what you're referring to is a "guard screw bushing" as is present on Mausers.

The Springfield doesn't have one. (at least that I'm aware of......and I've been disassembling them since I was a kid)

One of the reasons might be that the rear guard screw on a Springfield is at an angle, and wouldn't mate parallel surfaces on such a bushing. It is well to insure that the screw has ample clearence within the hole....and that it doesn't touch anywhere.

GV

I have two '03-A3's, and neither has one. I looked in a parts catalog with exploded views to see if maybe I was missing something. No "bushing" listed. Maybe some had them, but mine don't. The catalog would list the bushings if they were in the original configuration, whether or not they are available to buy.

Both of my stocks (one custom, one original) have ample room around the rear guard screw and I can see no reason to put a "bushing" around it, and it may do more harm than good.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:

I have two '03-A3's, and neither has one. I looked in a parts catalog with exploded views to see if maybe I was missing something. No "bushing" listed. Maybe some had them, but mine don't. The catalog would list the bushings if they were in the original configuration, whether or not they are available to buy.

Well, that was certainly my experience.

HOWEVER, a quick search of "Springfield guard screw bushing" yields a number of places you can buy them. Around $2...

GV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
That "bushing" is what is known as a pillar and am sure you have heard of pillar bedding. Simply put the pillars are there to prevent you from overtightening the tang screw and the front screw is also "fixed" with the bottom metal of the floorplate and the recoil lug on the receiver.
The distance/specification between the trigger guard/floor plate assembly is important for true alignment of magazine, follower, bolt, bedding, etc. is determined by proper spacing of the bottom metal and the receiver istself. Military Mausers also use the same system and in fact the Springfield's are a variant of the Mauser rifle and the U.S. was sued in court, lost, because of patent infringements. We never honored the judgement because we did afterall win the war and to hell with the Germans!!

Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrandView:
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:

Well, that was certainly my experience.

HOWEVER, a quick search of "Springfield guard screw bushing" yields a number of places you can buy them. Around $2...

GV

I did the same thing, you are right!

So I went to two of the sites that listed them for sale, and one listed them for '03's and not '03-A3's, if that makes sense. The other site listed it for $1 as a "guard bushing" for '03's in general.

I called a local guru that deals specifically in military weapons (he has a really cool shop!) and he told me some '03's have a "stock re-enforcement sleeve," that is actually part of the stock.

He told me it is supposed to fit "snugly" in the stock, but the screw is not supposed to touch it.

He also said the same as GV. The sleeve is not supposed to "space" the action and the trigger guard like the guide bushing on a Mauser does. And the bushing should not touch the screw or the action.

He offered no reason to need one fitted if you don’t have one.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
That "bushing" is what is known as a pillar and am sure you have heard of pillar bedding. Simply put the pillars are there to prevent you from overtightening the tang screw...

The reason I questioned it, other than having not seen one on a Springfield, is the non-parallel surfaces of the action tang and the bottom metal tang. The bushing would need to be machined at an angle to mate correctly, and would present some problems if it twisted within the stock. For that reason I'm tempted to go with Flippy's source.

quote:
Military Mausers also use the same system and in fact the Springfield's are a variant of the Mauser rifle and the U.S. was sued in court, lost, because of patent infringements. We never honored the judgement because we did afterall win the war and to hell with the Germans!!

The Mauser bushing does mate to parallel surfaces on action and bottom metal........so no problem if it spun within the stock.

The U.S. did in fact pay Paul Mauser for patent infringement.....to the tune of $200,000 for the period his patent was in force.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A799392

"The Springfield was such a close copy of the Mauser rifle that Paul Mauser secured a patent infringement judgment against the American government, which was forced to pay him over $200,000 for a license to produce the rifle."

GV