New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stocks???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have information on the use of Rimrock stocks?

How do they compare to McMillan stocks?

Many thanks,

Sam

eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are top quality.As good or better than most out there. Cool

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Rimrock stock on my 375 H&H. (Built while owned by Pacific Research.) I like the stock quite well--it is light, tough, and well proportioned.

Can't compare it to the McMillian as I don't have any of those....but I would definitely consider another one on a future rifle project.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam.

I have two Rimrock stocks and one McMillan.

Quality wise, I find little or no difference.

There is a vast difference in the way the two
are manufactured though, from what I can tell
by the extensive work I did on those two brands.

The Rimrock is made with hand laid, fairly heavy fiberglass bonded with epoxy and foam filled.

The McMillan seems to be made up of a fairly thin shell which is filled with an epoxy mixed with micro ballons. I believe it is totally filled, cured, and then CNC milled for the barrelled action.

Due to the method of manufacture, the McMillan seems a little stiffer, but not by much. (Not enough to concern oneself with!)

I recently modified a McMillan Winchester featherweight to fit my Kimber model 89 BGR.
The Mickey manufacturing method made this easy
enough to do. Probably a little harder to do using a Rimrock, and probably impossible on a Bansner.

You didn't say what type barrelled action you were thinking of using. McMillan has many models from which to choose, while Rimrock has but one.

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Thanks! I will use a Remington 700.

I will need to shave it to glass bed it. I like to bore out the stock holes to 1/2" and fill with bedding to make it pillar bedded. The barrel channel will be releived to free float it.

With your experience working on these, do you see any problems ahead for me if I go with this make?

How do the two compare in weight between the two different makes you own?

Thanks to all so far who have contributed.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote