New
Find
Notify
Tools

54 Win 405
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I know I need my head examined, but I've got a 54 Win donor action, a nice piece of bastogne(Mannlicher length) and obviously too much time. How about a 405 Win Model 54, M70 safety and bottom metal, Mannlicher stock? I know Winchester made a few 54's in 405 and it doesn't really look like too much of a feed issue. Whatcha think?
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Winchester ever made any '54s in the .405 chambering. Not saying they didn't, just that I hadn't heard of it 'til you said so.

Getting to your question, I have a .405 on an '03 Springfield, so can't see anything much wrong with one on a M54 action, which is very, very similar to a Springfield. I can tell you, though, it may be a bit of a challenge to get one to feed reliably & smoothly from the magazine (my Springfield won't). Then again, MAYBE it will be no problem.

Were I you, I would load some brass with the bullets you want to use, to the OAL you want them seated to, and do some careful measuring before I started....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be easier to make a .405 either on a P14 Enfield or a Siamese Mauser?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thin it would be also. Wanna trade. I have an extra 1917 Win.
I could use another 54 to match the one I have in 30-338.
Let me know,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote