Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I have a Pre War mod 70 which I had converted to a 7mm Rem from an '06 action. It don't shoot worth a shit and I haven't used it in years. It's a real pretty rifle, shame.

I don't remember who the smith was but the bitch has so much freebore even ol' Roy would do a double take. Of course accuracy sucks, when I tried to seat the bullets out the lands I got a single shot. Still sucked. I gave up and haven't shot it in years. Williams bottom metal/inlet and magazine is for an '06 length cartridge.

Bottom line is I kinda want to salvage the project. The blank, stock work and inletting is top notch.

(I'm not a smith, but I believe this can be done) The easiest fix I guess would be to have the action/etc indexed, pull the barrel and send it off to Krieger (current barrel is a LW)to match the contour then have it chambered and set to fit back in. I believe krieger offers that service. Or is that not really nec. and the stockwork would be minimal?

The next option would be what to chamber it in. I have no use for or need a 7mm Rem as I prefer the .270 and .300 Win (got a bunch of both of em).

Given the current magazine & bolt face etc. I was thinking about doing a .277 WSM.

Any thoughts?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
So you want someone to pick a caliber for you. Hmmmm... You will have to stick with a magnum sized case head so it will need to either remain a belted round or one of the many fat case offshoots. I'm really liking the 375 Ruger these days for a standard length action. You can, of course, have the barrel contour matched by your pick of barrel makers. It could be something as simple as a rebarrel, check feeding and go.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Yes that was what I wanted to know. Just if a quickie swap of the barrels can be done with minimal effort and $ outlay as well as the the COAL limitations with the '06 magazine.

Don't need a biggie got another Pre War .375 H&H. Just another deer gun I guess.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Build another 300 Win Mag - it should be a simple barrel swap. Great all-round cartridge that you're already familiar with and set up to load for. It could turn out to be your new favorite rifle.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FMC... Have you thought about selling the rifle and building the one you want?
I would be interested in your rifle, just the way it stands. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Forrest. I have another Pre War barreled action in .300 Win....LOL

OM70 If it's a simple fix why not? It's got a really nice piece of wood, skeleton grip, leather covered recoil pad, custom bases for Conetrols.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a 338? How heavy is the barrel, could you go even bigger, 416 maybe?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Forrest. I have another Pre War barreled action in .300 Win....LOL

I'm not a fan but a 264 Win Mag would work as well.

On another note, I'm heading down your way this afternoon for a dove hunt and dinner at Greek Bros. I hope the rain storms aren't going to scatter the birds.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What caliber do you have a hanker'n for? No sin having 2 300 Win mags. Heck I have two 404 Jefferys and 3 375 H&H. A man can never have too many of one caliber or was that ammunition? Big Grin

When you decide call Tip Burns over in Canyon Lake and talk to him about what you want done. He's a good man who does excellent work!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
What caliber do you have a hanker'n for? No sin having 2 300 Win mags. Heck I have two 404 Jefferys and 3 375 H&H. A man can never have too many of one caliber or was that ammunition? Big Grin

When you decide call Tip Burns over in Canyon Lake and talk to him about what you want done. He's a good man who does excellent work!

Thanks Rusty, will do.

Currently:
.22-250
.270 x 5 (he he he)
.300 Win x 3
.340 Wby (also acloverleaf-'49)
.375 H&H
.416 Rigby

Always had a "stutter" when deciding b/w .404 vs. .416.................

Forrest- fn rain nixed my golf game this afternoon. A former PGA Senior Open winner gave me his driver, got it yesterday was gonna hit it this afternoon- oh well.

Quickie from my iPhone, which does it no justice.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece FMC. I like the 7mm RM, no flies on it and just a good go getter cartridge. Don't know what development you did but assume you have exhausted all avenues in trying to get the 7mm to shoot.
Looking over your list you pretty much cover the field for small to medium calibre so why have another that won't improve on what you've got.

Now for something really worthwhile to play with, take a deep breath, that will get rid of your stutter, and open up that action for a 404. Relatively easily done and will give a nice handling one of a kind gun.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
eagle. You name it I tried it, powders, weights. Never consistent strings at all. It has more freebore than my 340 Wby.

I'm done with it.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
eagle. You name it I tried it, powders, weights. Never consistent strings at all. It has more freebore than my 340 Wby.

I'm done with it.

Okay so what about a 404?

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Calibers I don't see.

300 HnH
338 lapua
404 Jeffery
470 Nitro
And probably won't work but a biggin none the less
505 Gibbs

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
FMC,
I should have invited you to drive up and go tot the range This morning,Saturday. Several of us are meeting at Bayou Rifles Juliff range to should a double or two and some bolt trash as well. Around 8:30 this morning.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote