New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buggerred Weatherby Trigger Screw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rear trigger attachment screw on my Mk V has been badly "buggerred" (I'm not sure that's even a word) by a previos owner. Any ideas on how to get it out? I have not tried the front screw but it looks to be in good shape so I think it can be removed OK.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
They make a bit you can get at a local hardware store that might get it. If not an easy out will work also available at a hardware store.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjmci:
The rear trigger attachment screw on my Mk V has been badly "buggerred" (I'm not sure that's even a word) by a previos owner. Any ideas on how to get it out? I have not tried the front screw but it looks to be in good shape so I think it can be removed OK.

They make left Hand Twist Drills that are way handy for things like that! dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Is it a phillips head or a slotted head?

I am assuming phillips, but this works with slotted heads too-

I have a "barrel" (the blade part) from a 1/4" bit driver that I chipped the handle off. You can chuck it in a drill press with a suitable bit. Clamp the object with the worn or stuck screw under the bit, lower it down and then either use your hand on the chuck or some vise grips clamped onto it unscrew while applying downward pressure on the handle of the drill press. I have heard of using a dab of valve grinding compound or other type of grit into the screw for extra bite but I've never done that.

A more drastic method is a dremel, carefully grind straight into the center until the head comes off and then remove the remains with a pair of vise grips after everything is off the stock.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
They don't get much more buggered than having one epoxied to the stock. Here is how I handled one such screw not long ago. While these pictures depict the delicate removal of a MkV front screw, the rear screw could be handled in a similar fashion, God forbid. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who applied. I guess I was not clear enough in my original post, when I said "trigger attachment screw" I meant the screw that attaches the trigger to the receiver. I think some of these methods would work as there is a clear run down to the screw (a bit would just clear the back of the receiver). Anyone else have this problem?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Some how I read that originally as the trigger guard screw. Well anyway, you can remove them the same way. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Which part are you talking about, #31 or something else?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I think he means the one accessible from the top that sits right at the back of the rear bridge. It isn't illustrated in your schematic.

sjmci, if it's the hex head type, you might try using an appropriately sized torx bit. They can bite. If it is the Phillips type, a blunt Phillips head screw driver and a hammer to rap the top of the screw driver with as you turn it should do the trick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac: Be cool...gunsmiths use "inertia transfer devices" not hammers! har!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Westpac: Be cool...gunsmiths use "inertia transfer devices" not hammers! har!

Yes, the "Dead Blow" species!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re - diagram from Mark, looks like its #24. So badly marred I can't even tell whether it was a hex head or a phillips head. I'll see if I can get a closeup.