Find
Notify
Tools

1885 low wall
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Just recieved a new 1885 browning low wall single shot 22 hornet. The hammer won't hit the firing pin at all. Am I doing something wrong.?? Is there some ajustment that Needs to be done ?? Or is it defective?? anybody help?? MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is there a cross-bolt safety on that gun? Is it engaged?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scratch my earlier reply. I found the instruction manual on Browning's website.

The trigger may have been adjusted improperly: "The trigger of the Browning Model 1885 is adjusted at the factory. The trigger pull can be adjusted in a range of approximately 3 1/2 pounds to over 5 pounds by using a small screwdriver (see Figure 8).

Clockwise rotation decreases the pull weight to a minimum of approximately 3 1/2 pounds.

Counterclockwise rotation increases the trigger pull to a maximum of approximately 5 pounds. If the trigger pull force adjustment is increased too far, the trigger system becomes inoperative. Should this happen, merely back off the adjustment until the mechanism is again operative."

I don't know if that's your problem, but it sounds reasonable.

Hope this helps,
George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Thanks George. I will have to find a screwdriver that small. I may have to buy one. Thanks for the advise.. Maddog

posted Hide Post
I'm still not sure that's your problem.

Does the round not go off when you squeeze the trigger? Do you get any signs of a primer hit? Or is this something you noticed while dry-firing?

George

------------------

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
George, All of the above, no primer hits, I notice it while dry firing. Thanks for your intrest! If you want to keep helping I'll keep listening!
Maddog

one of us
posted Hide Post
MADDOG,
Did you get this sorted out? I am way nervous over your post as I put a 1885 22 Hornet on layaway about 3 weeks ago! I hope it all works out. I have heard that the triggers a fussy. I hope to hear if you get yours running... Please keep us informed. Thanks...

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only experience with an 1885 Low Wall is with one in .260 Remington. After loading for and shooting it awhile with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 120 grain Sierra Matchkings, using as many different powders that I have on hand that seemed appropriate, I never got consistent results that were very good. I finally lost interest in this rifle and haven't taken it out since.

The 1885 I worked with had a nasty trigger -- even adjusted to the lowest let-off weight possible, it still didn't break well and required too much force.

It may be that the lightness of this rifle makes its trigger especially problematic. (This is just a hunch on my part, but with a heavier rifle such as an 8 pound one, a 5-pound trigger pull may not be as disruptive of good aiming and shooting at the bench as a 3-pound pull is on a 5 pound rifle.)

In any case, I do not like this rifle.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 04-21-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Deputy450, No luck yet. A local gun smith is going to take a look on monday and we will see from there...Maddog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog,

Hope everything is well with your low wall. I was in a shop yesterday looking at some of these. They had 3 45-70s, a 222 rem, and a 22 hornet.

One of the 45-70 was a custom. It had a shortened barrel w/ target crown. Nice.

I am still waiting to hear on yours. If you would please post as your experience may make me look somewhere else....

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
If it's a new rifle,I would not let anyone touch it.Call Browning first.They may ask you to return it,or have you take it to an authorized repair shop.If a smith.not of their chosing,does anything to it,it might negate your warrantee.I have two 1885's.One low wall .223 and a rebarreled 6BR.Lee Shaver does great trigger work on these.My BR has a 2 1/2 lb pull.
George
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Well the problem was that the action was missing parts. Can you believe that?? Browning wanted to take 3 three months for repair but I am going to have my smith fix it... MD

[This message has been edited by MADDOG (edited 05-01-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Maddog,
If that rifle was NIB and it was missing parts, I would return it to the dealer I bought it from for a refund (can you say, "defects in materials or workmanship"?).

I would not keep the gun because God only knows what else is screwed up or out of spec!

George

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog, Picked up the Hornet yesterday. Has yours been fixed yet? Jay