Find
Notify
Tools

For the gunplumers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted
I found a sale on 3.5mm solid carbide twist drills on EBay. Of course 3.5mm is 0.1378 inch which falls right in between wire #28 and #29 which are the common drill sizes for 8x40 screws. I ordered 50 of them just because of the price which worked out to $105.89 USD for the lot including shipping charges which were included to Canada. So, they worked out to $2.12 a piece USD. Not that I was trying to hog them, but I wanted to see just what the hell they were and if they were worth it before I told anyone else. I have been burned before on crap like this. They came in the mail a couple of days ago and they are clearly seconds as the grind in the flutes looks like it was done by a cross eyed, hermaphroditic, constipated beaver. But I poked a hole in a file at about 1000 rpm which is far to slow for a drill that size and it showed no ill affects what-so-ever and went through the file like smoke through a gun with no heating and was bang on for size. They may not evacuate soft materials at 10,000 rpm in a CNC, but for mental cripples like ourselves poking holes in hardened receivers, they will work fine. Brownells wants about $17.00 gunsmith cost plus shipping for #28 carbide so it is quite a savings. You might as well say that you are getting 50, for the price of 7 and they are 2 flute, not three like the ones Brownells sells so they are easy to resharpen.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322430581015

28 29 drill by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add: 3mm is the same as wire #31 and I buy them dirt cheap in carbide off of Ebay too.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My pet beaver is offended, but the information is good to have.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My pet beaver is offended, but the information is good to have.

Almost all Americans are offended these days. Except the Ole Peckerheads. They've all turned into a bunch of panty waste, snowflakes! I think it has something to do with the potty training.

rotflmo LMAO ROFF

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I guess you can read the Chinese directions !

OT.I remember going to a large affair in Toronto at a chopsticks only Chinese restaurant.
The other white guys couldn't understand how I could use chopsticks so well ! stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
And I guess you can read the Chinese directions !

OT.I remember going to a large affair in Toronto at a chopsticks only Chinese restaurant.
The other white guys couldn't understand how I could use chopsticks so well ! stir

Can't read a lick of it. But I speak enough mandarin to get slapped ordering food at DimSum. Most people I grew up with can use chopsticks as will as a fork. Where I was raised was one of the areas where the Japanese were imprisoned during WWll. They got to know the locals and fit in so well that a lot of them stayed after the war and started businesses and raised families. When I was going to school (about 6 years old) one of the grownups made a side comment to someone else that one of my best friends was Japanese. I didn't have a clue what the hell they were talking about and asked my mother what it meant after school and she explained it to me. Hell, all that time, I though Harry just had bad vision and squinted a lot.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgive my layman's ignorance speerchucker, but what is #31 used for?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use that size for 6-48 taps. I think it can also be used for 1/8" aluminum rivets(or maybe that is a #30, I forget)

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Roger.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RogerR is correct. In this case it's the old Tomayto or Tomahto madness. Gunplumbers have always needed good #31 or #32 drills because 6x48 is one of the most common gun screws required. It holds 90% of our sighting apparatuses on. In the case of the old Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Savage 99s and a host of others the material is almost too hard even for good cobalt drills. For years I have looked for a cheep source for carbide drills, other than Brownells which is basically a high end fashion boutique for gunnuts. It was always the same story. #31/#32 HSS is tough to get. #31/#32 cobalt is really tough and carbide is almost impossible. Until you ask for 3mm carbide that is. The size 3mm is so common that you can't toss a stone without hitting a 3mm drill. Basically #32 is .1160 inch. #31 is .120 and 3mm falls right in the middle at .1181 inch.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. What type of Tap is best to use for 8-40, and 6-48 after drilling through a piece of Remington Hide or Mauser Hide?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best that I have used are those Reiff & Nestor taps that Brownells carries. I looked into ordering them direct once a few months back, but there was really no savings over Brownells.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Score another win for the boutique. Thanks, I'll get a couple.