New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WM cartridge belts jamming action...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well when I bought my 300WM I thought over just about everything but overlooked magazine feeding problems due to the belt on the cartridge. Am I doing something wrong? is there a trick to stacking the cartridges into the sako 75 clip or is this just something you have to live with? I spent a lot of time in Grizzly country by myself a lot of that time, sometimes in thick stuff where I could have ended up 20yds from Grizz. I had almost total confidence at the time but thinking back and now knowing this rifle could have jammed up it's a little scary.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have converted one VZ24 rifle from 8mm to 300 Win mag.
I opened the bolt face to the new diameter.
I cut a slot up to meet 180 degrees of bolt face.
I lengthened the mag box front and rear.
I cut back the extractor to get one ounce feed to face force.
I opened the feed lips where the shoulder got stuck.
I practiced chambering and ejecting cases with bullets loaded in cases without powder or primers.
I learned it takes more pull back force on the bolt handle for ejection.
I learned that I could get one in the chamber and three in the mag, but it would not feed when upside down.
It feeds upside down just fine with two in the mag and one in the chamber.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Are you stacking the bullets in the back of the magazine when loading or just pushing them down any way they'll go in? I've always' found that leaning the rifle back when loading and making sure all the rounds go in on top of each other and rest in the back of the magazine helps things out.

Are you absolutely sure the belts are causing the trouble?

If the feed ramp is wrong or the rails not right, it's gonna jam and since the belt is the widest part of the cartridge that's where things are going to happen.

Are you sure if this magnum didn't have a belt it wouldn't jam?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the solution might be to modify the clip so that the tips of the bullets bellow the top bullet in the clip touch the clip wall. If the tips touch the inside wall of the clip they cannot slide forward. Ken

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take it that this is a detachable magazine? If so, then you may wish to purchase another magazine to see if you experience the same problem. There is nothing about the belt on a .300 Winchester that should cause misfeeding.

I have belted magnums in three calibers (7mm STW, .338, and .375) in identical Sako TRG-s models and have a total of five clips, any of which works with any of the calibers in any gun.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you could just try speading out the top of the magazine lips to see if the feeding issue stops Wink

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the belt catches on the "lip" in the magazine you can smooth the lip with a dremel tool and a fine grit sanding disc. I opened up the area around the belt on my 300 WM. It helped a lot. Just remeber you want to go very slowly and remove the minimum amount of metal that gives you consistent feeding. You really want to polish the lip not cut it down. If you remove too much the rounds will want to pop out of the mag when they aren't supposed to.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote