New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunmaker Patent Research
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m looking for some tips on how to research old patents, specifically old English gunmaker patents. Are there online databases of patent descriptions? Where else might one start looking?

Having never tried to do anything similar before, I’d appreciate any information to get me headed in the right direction.
Thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You used to be able to do a search on the US Patent Office web site...but they have gone to a fee-system for that recently.

If you do a search on the net you should find numerous companies that specialize in doing patent searchers...but I would guess that its going to also involve a fee of some sort.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The US patent office on line material is iffy.
I paid ~$3 each for the digital information on my father's patents, and it prints out beautifully.

Once you find a patent that you really like, pay the $.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the countries are now online I use the US online patent office all the time and download and print what I need. The German office is very good as well with a link to other countries patents.

You don’t say the years you are interested in but there is a seven volume set of “Patents for Inventions Class 119 Small Arms†covering the years 1855-1930 for all English firearms patents.

If your search falls into these years and you have a number or name I have the set and could look up the number or name for you.

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/
http://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?window=...3bdcc2d14&stamp=3391

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick 0311:
You used to be able to do a search on the US Patent Office web site...but they have gone to a fee-system for that recently.QUOTE]

When did they start this? I found one, downloaded it and printed it today?

MP

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I have a set of books that I have found invaluable for just the type of research you are desiring. It's the 7 volume set of Patents for Inventions for Class 19 Small Arms from 1855-1930. Everything is in these volumes... Henry, Beesley, Hollis, Whitworth and hundreds if not thousands of other makers patents. These are the abridgements of the original specifications. Firearms manufacturers worlwide filed their patents with the British Patent Office. They were reprinted in 1993 by Armory Publications. I'd be happy to help you with your research if you're unable to find the books.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the leads.
The issue that started me thinking about this topic was reading this on the Westley Richards website -

“Options for the foresight include a standard ramp or the Westley Richards patent Foresight - considered by many to be the best option. The Westley Richards patent Foresight is entirely hand made, and includes a hinged cover with checkered sides for ease of handling. Once the cover is back, the user can select the standard bead, or flip-up moon bead - which, because of it’s (sic) iridescent nature, can be seen in even the most dim circumstances.â€

I’d love to know more about this sight and maybe find a drawing or picture of it. I’ll do the online searches and probably write to W-R and see whether they can help me with a patent number. If someone wanted to also look in the book mentioned above to see whether the information is there, I’d be very appreciative.

In general though, it’s great just finding out how to do this research for future reference.

- stu

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
If I have time over the weekend, I'll look for it's reference.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With large firms such as Westley Richards the patent could possibly be issued to the workman or inventor at WR. Without a name or year I just don’t have time to do the research. You might ask WR for more info and if you turn up anything drop me a note.
A quick check of an older WR catalog shows many sight patents issued to a man name Taylor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent an email to W-R to see whether they can narrow down the search with a patent number or year for me. I’ll have to wait and see what they come back with.

Steve, you’re keeping me busy tracking down all these publications! I sent off a message to Armory. Couldn’t find it on the website though. Ebay and Amazon turned up blanks as well. Maybe George will know how to unearth a copy.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

- stu