THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser actions - which one's are worth the effort?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser actions - which one's are worth the effort?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering. with all of the various Mauser rifles that have been made, and the love affair custom builders have had for them for years, which one's are worth the effort? Which one's are POS?

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
1909 Argentine
VZ-24

Both are fairly easy to find and will make nice sporters

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
FN Deluxe or Supreme

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1936 Mexican

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to high jack the thread but does the 1908 Brazilian rank up there with the 1909 Argentine and 1936 Mexican?? I have one and have been hesitant to change it into a sporting rifle although I wouldn't have any problem keeping it in 7X57, which I consider to be a fine old cartridge. I don't need another rifle but do like the mausers to shoot and hunt with.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pathfinder:
Not to high jack the thread but does the 1908 Brazilian rank up there with the 1909 Argentine and 1936 Mexican?? I have one and have been hesitant to change it into a sporting rifle although I wouldn't have any problem keeping it in 7X57, which I consider to be a fine old cartridge. I don't need another rifle but do like the mausers to shoot and hunt with.

I believe the 1908 Brazilian is the same, just different bottom metal.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 98/29 Persian, '35 Chilean, and the G33/40. The Banner actions can be quite desireable too.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about all off the 98 mausers from South America are good rifles. To date I haven't seen any that were German, Belgian or Czech built that weren't good candidates.

I pass on 93-96's though, these you need to know your stuff on, and are best left in the original chamberings for the most part.

Just about all the K-98's were good rifles. Look for 1922-1941, and pass on the later war production versions.

And I don't think Brno ever built a M98 I don't like, definately good actions there, there are other not common variants besides the VZ-24's and the G33/40's. Here is a list of BRNO contract countries:

Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Ecuador, Estonia, Guatemala, Iran (Sun Lion crested), Lativa, Lithuania, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, El Salvador, Siam/Thailnd, Turkey, Uraguay( Known as the M37),Venezuela and Yugoslavia. China also got some "P" series rifles.

If your really interested you really should get a book or reference material on Mausers, I have been collecting information for years and I am still learning bits and pieces on them.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for the VZ-24s, then the 1909s and literally all of the Brno and FN actions sold in Central and South America. They were all top of the line manufactured items, and don't forget such goodies as the M1912 and M1935 Chileans either. They are excellent choices for reuse, or for renovation back to their standard condition.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote