New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge for once in lifetime custom rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once in a lifetime--how about something like the DG looking 22lr rifle that Duane Wiebe created? Unique, fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and a thing of beauty.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If a rifle made in the "American" style then 270, 30-06 or 35 Whelen.
If a rifle done in the "European" style then 7x64 or 9.3x62.
If a rifle done in the "British" style then 7x57, 300 H&H, or 375 H&H.

The primary purpose of the rifle would be the main determinant for appropriate caliber.

I made the choice for my rifle. The caliber is 300 H&H and it truly is my 'once in a lifetime' rifle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
300 H&H

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
6.5X53R on a small Farquhason action (or Hagen action, depending upon which way the wind is blowing)

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a bench rest accurate 22 lr in one of Bailey Bradshaw's or some other small falling block. Maybe a low wall or Ballard Gallery Rifle. It would need a small but powerful scope. I don't know which ones would qualify but I'd find one. It could have some light engraving by Rodger Kehr, (sp), Rust Blueing and a nice piece of English or European walnut. I have a blank that would do. I can't think of anything I would enjoy more.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
A toss up between a couple of calibers:

A 6.5x54 MS or a 318 Westley Richards on custom LH Mauser action, English style stock

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I voted .32 and up, and would go with my old stand by of an '03 in 35 Whelen, but that is a tough decision against an old European classic in 7x57. The light 7 is such a sweet round, but the '03 and the Whelen just seem to be made for one another.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Provocative question,this. Thought about if for a while. Would choose on the small side of 30 caliber. But then I thought some more. I already have a 7 x 57 in a Mauser. And a pre-64 Model 70 in 270 [2 x7 Leupold, Conetrol mounts ]. And a featherweight Savage 99 in 300 [my original 1959 deer rifle][ old Weaver K4/post n crosshair ]. They all shoot really well. and I am set up to reload em all. So I don't get too excited about a 'once in a lifetime' rifle. I probably wouldn't want to use it. Once passed on a perfect $280 gem of a handmade canoe paddle for the same reason. And if I did get one of those 'lifetime' jobs my wife would find out and she would just have an excuse to buy more pairs of shoes. But if one of you gentlemen was going to offer to pay for it, just send me the money.....

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
7 x 57 on a tricked out g.33/40 mauser action with premium barrel, french walnut, premium scope.

Same for me, though I would also consider a 33/40-ized 1902 Mexican or 1909 Peruvian. With a 1909 Peruvian, along with the front ring conversion to small ring, I'd have the front ring shortened to standard length. The custom 33/40 that Toomanytools posted recently would suit me just fine. Ralph Martini's half octogon barrels are pretty sexy though.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I go with a 9.3X62

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could only do one custom build I'd do another fast 375 of some type in a portable package because I'd want to hunt with it for everything. 250 TTSX for long shots and most NA or mountain game. 270 or 300 TSX for DG and Africa with a few solids for ele and small antelope.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote