New
Find
Notify
Tools

source for H&H mount parts???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a catalog or link to a source that sold rough H&H detachable mount parts. THis is the mount that is on the left side of the action and has a rotating lever on the front base that locks the scope down.

If push comes to shove, I can always make them. But it would be easier to buy rough parts and fit them.

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I had a catalog or link to a source that sold rough H&H detachable mount parts. THis is the mount that is on the left side of the action and has a rotating lever on the front base that locks the scope down.

If push comes to shove, I can always make them. But it would be easier to buy rough parts and fit them.

Thanks!

Gottfried Prechtel could might make it..he supplied me with my H&H scopemount..

http://www.golmatic.de/GOLmatic_DE/golmatic_de.htm

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at his site first, as I thought that is where I had seen it. But I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I did see what looked similar (but not exactly) like an H&H front mount-but no rear mount.

Do you happen to have a pic of the mount on your rifle?

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Silver makes H&H duplicate mounts.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks for the tip, but as far as I know, Mark only makes them for complete rifles that he builds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may have tried already, but how about the H&H gunroom in New York? They may be able to supply, or give you a lead on where you might be able to find what you need.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I looked at his site first, as I thought that is where I had seen it. But I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I did see what looked similar (but not exactly) like an H&H front mount-but no rear mount.

Do you happen to have a pic of the mount on your rifle?

Thanks!

Just e-mail him!! He has it all!

My gunmaker is very old (read conservative), and doesn`t have digital camera...or a dvdplayer and cellphone either..hahaha

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks JP! I'll fire him off an email right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc: Let us know what you find...Recently, I purchased "rough" hardware from England for these mounts...I mean ROUGH and expensive! Must have been machined with a jig saw! This was some of the worst crap I ever saw...but had to "eat them" My opinon: This "system" will always impress me as a solution in search of a problem..the wheel re-invented, but they forgot to round off the corners

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe-

Am I better off just making them from scratch?

Do you not like they way they operate compared to other detachable systems?

Thanks for your feedback!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Prechtl emailed me back this morning. THe price for the parts is 400 Euros, plus shipping to the US. The machining looks good, but that is a lot of money for what I woul dget. I think I would be better off making them from scratch.

Mr. Wiebe-
does the machining on these parts look the same as those you got from England?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

At $E400 they do seem mighty proud of the mounts, but on the other hand one would be hard pressed to make a set for that money.

From the pictures the work looks pretty good.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to make a set on my new Bridgeport tonight. Oh wait a minute, the CHeesehead never called me back about the machine! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marc...guess I REALLY got screwed...I paid $600.00 for the rings only that were not nearly as finished as the ones you photographed...Got them from Lee Le Bas via David Little...I'm a slow learner!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Is this by a customers desire, or do you think they are good scope mounts? If so, I would be interested in knowing why, if you would bother.

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is for a personal rifle I am planning. I have never actually handled a rifle with these mounts on it. I first saw them 12 years ago and liked the way they looked and handled the question of detachability and repeatability.

Do you feel they are not as good as other designs? If so, please give me any input on them. I have never spoken with anyone who owned a rifle with these mounts on them and appreciate any first-hand feedback. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

Never owned one, just handled a few over the years. Looks and taste are a personal matter, but they sure are sturdy and popular with the traditional makers in GB.

My main reason for not liking them is the fact that the rings are placed very close together, which is not ideal for scopemounting in my book.
Displayed on this outstanding WR standard grade:

This scope is a modern S&B with at least 80mm (3 1/8") eye-relief. Me thinks this is a show-pic, to make the rifle look good. For a normal man to shoot it, the scope would have to be placed as far ahead as the rings alow - and it would look a lot less appealing. And I am not sure it would be enough either.

So very classy, but as far as scopemounts, not ideal - in my opinion.
If I had a rifle with such mounts, I would pick the scope that made the best of it, probably a Leupold compact 2-7x33 or simmilar.

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I may just square bridge them and mill for Talley lever rings. That will definitely be less work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bent, G&H and Jaeger sidemounts have similar close spaced rings. Of course when these mounts were designed most scopes were not as big as some we see today.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Only pair I ever saw were on a rifle under construction by Clayton Nelson. He did a beautiful job on them and I thought they not only look good but handled well. He does not give them away either. Till I heard the price I was going to have him put the on my 7x57. Settled for custom Talley bases instead. Still wish I had gone ahead with the H&H's.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote