Find
Notify
Tools

Best choice for k98
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
heading to a gunshow this weekend and I'll be looking for a k98, basically just for the action.

I know the older Danzig's are desirable, and stuff made after 1944 should be avoided, but is there any particular arsenals that should be avoided? Or any that are particularly better than others?

I got the itch to build something, just haven't decided exactly what yet..

Thanks!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
please get an already butchered one. originals are scarce enough already

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Kar 98s are WW1, small ring, large thread rifles. I think what you are looking for is a Mauser 98 of any make and vintage which will make up a good sporter, right? If so, there are about 25 makers of 98 Mausers, from pre ww1 DWM to 1945 Mauser make. In between there are lots of good choices. Can't beat Czech vz24s of any vintage. Polish Wz29s are all very good. Any 98k (marked Mod 98) from 1935 to 1944 will be good; nothing wrong with the late ones except rough machining. Any FN of any vintage is good. Of course, anything marked Mauser is good. Some early DWMs are soft but I use them anyway. LIke 1909 Arginetine and 08n Brazilians. Overall, I like the vz24s; easy to get, reasonable, and all are excellent quality.
Never Spanish or Chinese. never.

Posts: 17185 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Sears or Monkey Wards FN costs no more and maybe less than some war dog that bubba butchered. Some of those FNs even come with decent steel bottom metal. For sure the finished item has more value when you start with an FN.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If strictly dealing with K98K's, I prefer only those produced by the Oberndorf factory (42, byf), but there are other possibilities. What are you looking to spend? I've got a couple VZ-24's and a couple Oberndorf-made K98K's that I would sell. Send a PM if interested. Oh, and mine were pre-butchered when I bought them. Smiler

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went to a gun show this last weekend looking for the same thing. I guess it was too much to hope for a butchered action setting on someones table flagging me down, I used to see them all the time. All I could find was a Steyr M98 with mismatched parts. The 7mm barrel was done for, and the stock is in really bad and broken shape. I will use the action to do a nice build. Hope your gun show search turns up something good!

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all teh replies!

The word is out on the Sears and Monkey ward guns in my neck of the woods, and they are tough to come by, but they are always on my list..

Since I got the last k98 Danzig for free, I'm not looking to spend a lot. I'm thinking I should be able to find a beater for around $200 max. hopefully less.

I might consider a late model springfield if I can find one cheap enough, but still pondering that one... I think it would have to be really cheap..

I have a lot to accomplish at the gunshow this weekend... I have a Rem 700 Classic in 300 Weatherby I want to unload or trade for I'm not sure what, and a few scopes... (nothing special)

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote