New
Find
Notify
Tools

feeding problem in Ruger 375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
while recently doing my field guide association of south african SKS Dangerous Animals shooting exam I encountered an intermittent feeding problem in my Ruger Safari express chambered in 375 H&H. about one in twenty shots on the timed rapid fire shooting excercises would have a bullet jam up against the top of the chamber just prior to entering the barrel causing a jam. The jam was easily eliminated by pulling the bolt back and pressing the cartridge down with my left hand and re-feeding but obviously this cost time. It also happened in the jungle lane and with the 7 second two shot, re-chamber in this excercise it causes unnaceptable delays. It seems to only occurr on an extremely rapid pull back and closure and only when I re-chamber from the shoulder. This had happened to me (rarely) on the range but I had always put it down to me short stroking. The FGASA instructor on the SKSDA however watched carefully and was certain that I was not short stroking and that it was a feeding problem. I also rely on this gun as my carry gun and thus would never want this to happen while in the field... Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Is it a ruger problem? Any ideas on how to fix it so that when I go to a gunsmith I have some ideas to discuss?

thanks in advance for any help
\

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this fits, but I once had a rifle that if I jerked the bolt back hard against the stops, the next round in the magazine would pop up out of the follower and just be sitting there on top of the magazine. It usually jammed as the bolt was moved forward.

Your problem has to be something similar if it just happens when you are doing similar maneuvers.

If so, probably the only cure is to slow down a tad. Haste makes waste, as they say.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to take that Ruger to a good gunsmith who knows how to make bolt guns feed. Something will need to be adjusted in the rails, ramp, or follower, but of the wrong guy does it he could ruin the action. I would not go hunting with the rifle like that.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adrian louwe gave similar advice. Thought it might be the rails. It really is a good gun, a rare fault and only in the most extreme situations, but I'll take it in anyway.

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote