New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stove Pipe Hang-Up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend has a Llama .45 caliber pistol that is hanging the spent cases halfway out alot of the time. It is my guess that if it didn't FEED properly the magazine spring could be weak or the port of the chamber could be polished a little. BUT, going the other direction, I don't know which way to lead him for the quick fix. Mentioning the immediate sale of said firearm and buying a REAL pistol Wink probably wouldn't do much for the friendship, so.......please enlighten me. Thanks all, Mike

FourTails

Posts: 916 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fourtails

Is this gun new? I had a similar problem with my new Llama. I polished the feed ramp & put some light oil on the feed rails. After the first 200 rounds my gun seemed to "loosen up" and now functions great. I have put 500 rounds through it and have had no problems.

Posts: 262 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will check to see just how many rounds have been fired through it. A note here: He left the magazine loaded full for a long, long time. I checked the spring pressure and it does seem a little weak. This weakness is compared to my Springfield .45 caliber V-10 compact so probably is not an accurate way to analyse pressure. I must admit that I really don't know squat about the Llama pistol. On a .22 caliber auto that had the same problem, I took the ole' dremmel tool and polished the feeding ramp at the 0:530 o'clock to about 0:330 o'clock position pretty extensively (barrel at level) and it worked flawlessly. The pressure level between the .22 cal and the 9MM being quite different I wonder if I am flirting with a dangerous modification here. Thanks again, MIke

FourTails

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The fix can be simple or not, it depends on what is causing the hang up. (profound stastement I know! LOL) Was it doing it before, or has it recently started? Check extractor tension to make sure it is gripping the case OK, check slide for binding, check recoil spring for bends, and check ejector for proper timing. Also, ask if it is the stock recoil spring or if it has been replaced.

I'd check that stuff first before suspecting the magazine. If what I have described sounds like greek to you let me know and I can be more detailed.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
try a new mag. first, wilson is a good brand.
What loads are you shooting? if you are shooting light loads and you have a heavy spring. i think the laama come stock with a 18 lb. spring. should be shootin 200 to 230gr loads.
Clean the ejector really good.
Does it happen random or on the last round out of the mag.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Also, I found an old mag that I had left loaded for AT LEAST 11 years, disturbing it as little as possible I loaded and fired it, it fed and fired all 8 rounds without a hiccup. So while I agree it is bad form to leave springs under tension, it is not necessarily harmful to them in a practical way.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quickest fix will probably be to try different weight recoil springs until you find one that works with the loads being used. Of course that will only work if you have ruled out extractor, ejector, and mag problems! Roll Eyes

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back in town. All the help is greatly appreciated. We have a Gun Show this weekend and my lovely wife has left me with a list of chores to do. I can't believe after all these years that she still believes I'm her handyman! By now she should have learned I'm the GWH around here and have no time for such nonsesne. However, work before play, and if I don't get some of it (her requests, some long overdue) done......I'll let you guys know what results I get after checking out all the possible problems. Thanks again, Mike

FourTails

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, it can also be the shooter. If the guy pulling the trigger shoots the gun "limp wristed" and allows the gun to recoil up at the wrist instead of the arm coming up most semi-autos can be made to stovepipe.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote