Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Recoil Pad on Winch Model 70 Classic
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
I had my Model 70 SS Classic's pad replaced with a Pachmayr. I took the gun to a Gunsmith and he installed it for me. Looks like it came from the factory like that. Handles recoil a lot better. Mine is a 338 Win Mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this does mean you are a wimp!

Just joking! Personally, I shoot substantially lighter rifles than the .375 H&H and I have to pay attention to avoid flinching when I'm at the rifle range. Don't even notice recoil and report when shooting on live game.

Have you considered simply using a shoulder mounted recoil pad, such as a Past recoil pad? What about a slip on recoil pad? You mentioned that the recoil was a problem at the range. In the field shots are few in number, the hunter often has several layers of clothes on which absorb recoil, and there is the common phenomenon hunters experience where when shooting at game they completely forget to notice the recoil and report of their rifles, so absorbed in the hunting moment.

On the other hand, adding a recoil pad adds some extra length to the rifle, which may be desirable. I think the manufacturers design for the shortest statured figure, leaving tall people with rather stubby, short pull stocks.

Just some thoughts. I can't recommend what recoil pads are best but will pay attention to others comments as I'm thinking about adding one to a .243 Winchester Classic Featherweight I have -- not to tame the monsterous recoil of my .243 but to lengthen the trigger pull to be more suitable to my 6' 2" frame.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Decelerator works for me.......

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Limbsaver or Decelerator all the way.
I installed a Limbsaver for a guy on a 458 Lott that I rechambered and he said it was like night and day compared with the hard rubber pad he had before.

-Spencer