Find
Notify
Tools

Out of the box....what to do??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted
I have Remington Model 700 XCR chambered in 30-06 that I purchased last year. It has been a good rifle, and my limited time at the range with has it shooting just under 1 inch groups with handloads. With some long-range goals in mind I am eager to maximize the rifle's potential. Now that the off-season is here my question is: what should I be looking at doing to this rifle to make it a shooter? I have little experience with this field and would be taking the rifle to gunsmith for all of the work. Thanks for the help!

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much more accuracy do you need? Less than 1 MOA with handloads is about all a person needs in a .30-06.

I sent my 2" MOA guns to Hill Country Rifles for "accurizing" and got 1" MOA rifles back with the same ammo.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
"need" and want are two different things Wink

I have had a lot of fun shooting the gongs out to 550 yrds at our range using a target knob. I want to start taking the long-range stuff to the next level...without purchasing another rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I seriously doubt that it will shoot much better without a new barrel.

Not that the way it shoots now is bad. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under an inch for an out of the box rifle is pretty good. Start messin' with it and it might get better, but then again, it might get worse. If you haven't already, I would either have the factory trigger fine tuned and adjusted or replace it with a quality aftermarket unit. The effect of a good trigger might just pleasantly surprise you.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you're getting under an inch with handloads, I would strongly advise you to leave it alone. Seriously, as the old adage states "if it ain't broke don't fix it or you're liable to fix till it is...". If your rifle is this accurate, I would seriously call it good and invest in a hunt somewhere that would allow you to put it to good use.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bed it

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with those who say its prety darn good now.
You probably could use a trigger job.
If its done by a pro it sure cant hurt anything.
I have an sps, in .257 weatherby witch I think has the same stock.
It functions fine but its uglier than sin,
If you want to spend the money an has precision stock might be a little helpfull and certainly looks better. Of course a mcmillon would be good too, and for a bunch of cash they will bed it for you.
But I would simply get a trigger job, and play with your loads a little.
My 06 shoots great too , and uless you live in alaska , a good 30,06 that shoots 1 inch with a good bullet of 165 and up is all the rifle you will ever need.
My safe holds about 16 rifles but as far as my hunting goes if all I had was my 06, I would well armed for any hunt i have ever been on...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would be careful with "improvements".....they sometimes hurt a already good shooter.

A trigger job will be great for any rifle and could only help.

I only work on a rifle that doesn't shoot good.....if it shoots good I run with it.....and under 1" is very good.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info! It seems that most guys would just leave it be....and that makes good sense. The problem I have is that the barrel is not floated and makes some contact with the stock....and the stock seems a bit flexible, especially where it narrows towards the front. I don't know if anyone else has found this to be problem with the XCR's, but it bothers me to no end Frowner Even though the gun seems to shoot alright at this point I am VERY tempted address those issues...if not swap the stock out entirely with something more ridged.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you decide to re-stock...the H-S stocks are great for the Rem. 700's

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
bed it
X2

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Bill Leeper or Dennis Sorensen. They are both Canadian gunsmiths and are very good and honest.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It looks like I will keep the XCR stock, but only after having it glass and pillar bedded. I will also be getting a trigger job (keeping the factory trigger) and the barrel floated.

Is there any real advantage to getting an after market firing pin and spring assembly? (faster lock time)

I have also had someone mention something about "sleaving the bolt?" Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sleeving the bolt would only be noticeable in a BR situation, maybe. I doubt in your situation that changing the firing pin assembly would be noticeable.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Another thing would be to have a qualified machinest put a target crown on the barrel. this seems to help with boat tail bullets.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote