THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Why Is The 338 Win Mag A "Difficult" Cartridge To Chamber For?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Is The 338 Win Mag A "Difficult" Cartridge To Chamber For?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
At least that's what Ken (Dr.Promo) Jarrett says about it. Is it true, or is he trying to steer customers towards one of his proprietary cartridges?

I've had three stainless 338's, a Ruger, Remington and Winchester... only the Remington was a genuine moa piece.

I'm picking up another stainless Win 70 if I can find one that has a receiver machined flat (vs. rounded and pointed south!).

Whatdya think?

Brad

PS... apparently D. Miller doesn't think so as Lee's 338 sounds as if it's producing great groups!

<Don Martin29>
posted
My experiance tells me that there is little connection between cartridges and accuracy.

As long as things are assembled right then it will perform. The major cause of mechanical failure is improper assembly.

There is a tiny difference when the benchrest game is played but back to regular rifles and other variables are much bigger than the cartridge.

Of course a large sample of.338 Win's with featherweight bbl's will not group as well as old M-70's that have that barrel of almost target weight.

Ask on the benchrest forum. There are .338" bullets for long range target and I bet the .338 Win does well once you get past the headspacing problem.

The only cartridge that should be scrapped is the .22 Hornet. And that's only because I think most of them don't shoot because of the too thin necks. Solve that problem somehow and that one will shoot well also.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My experience while certainly not remotely approaching that of Kenny Jarret is that of all the guns I've built over the years the .338 Win Mag was the one where I had the worst results. I've built two on chrome moly barrels using the same reamer that would not shoot better than 1.5 inch groups no matter what I did ( my minimum std is <1MOA). Using the same reamer and a Pac-NOR Stainless barrel,on the same action I was able to get .5MOA.I also note that this caliber has resulted in the worst copper fouling of anything I've ever seen with the exception of the Pac-Nor barrel which only copper fouls slightly. I don't know if Kenny is trying to sell you anything else, but the .338 Win Mag still gives me the shudders.It's a great caliber, but a tough one to build for some reason.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with the 338 Win from any standpoint...One cartridge is just like another from a building standpoint as far as I'm concerned..and accuracy is a result of using good materials and good skills.

My personal 338, metal work by Belk and wood by me, barrel by Boots Obermyer and it will shoot under 1/2" with almost any load and all loads to the same POI...I use Lothar-Walther barrels these days and they ALL shoot fantastic.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are several reasons why people have "trouble" getting the .338 WinMags to shoot like they want....the first is recoil and, to me, the .338 recoils out of proportion to it's power which I admit is substantial...I like it but the recoil seems to hit you very fast...the second reason is the lack what I would call "quality" bullets. The .338 and .358 calibers seem to be orphans when it comes to accurate bullets as least when compared to other calibers. With respect to copper plating....the .338 is a hunting rifle that almost demands something like the Swift or Nosler plus a lot of shooters want velocity and drop down to a ltwt bullet from Barnes.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know it was difficult to chamber for. I may have to refine my technique. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
DB, I'm not so sure about the "quality" bullet thing... Sierra certainly makes some decent stuff. Most of the .338 Mag owners of my aquaintance like Hornady 225's as a deer and "plinking" bullet. I found that if a .338 won't shoot the Hornady 225's it probably won't group anything... a very good bullet. My Remington would keep those around 3/4" all day long (three shot groups). Even in my other rifles, the Hornady 225's shot as well as or better than anything else. Ditto in a 338-06 I had.

As to it "recoiling all out of proportion to its killing power"... honestly, I don't understand that. With a big, soft recoil pad and well-proportioned stock, the recoil of a 338 isn't too bad... maybe you had a bent stock (monte carlo) and got beat-up?! I'd rather shoot a 338 Win Mag than a 300 Wby (for instance).

Regards,

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to second what Brad said. I have your basic M70 338Winnie with a boyd classic stock and I don't think the felt recoil is anywhere near a 300 wby for example. I'd sooner shoot my 338 than my 7mm Mag(of couse I like the 338 better) off the bench. As for accuracy, I don't have any difficulty shooting 1" groups with mine. A good shot could probably do better.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77 MK-II that I have used to hunt moose in bear country for several years now. I replaced the "boat paddle stock" with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded. The rifle is still ugly, but whatever bullet I shoot with it hits exactly the right spot. From a clean and cool barrel, if I try enough from the bench two bullets will strike within 1/2" from each other. However, since moose and bears are so large I don't spend too much time aiming seeking extra accuracy, but instead I aim and shoot three shots as fast as possible. If I get three shots within 1" that's great, but if the three shots hit within a 2" circle I am ready to easily shoot a moose out to 300 yards.

It has been an outstanding hunting tool for me, and lucky enough to drop moose with one well placed shot. The recoil may surprise you if you don't hold the stock tightly against your shoulder, but other than that it does exactly what it was designed to do without much fanfare. I love this cartridge, and so a great number of Alaskans. It may well be the most popular cartridge up here, along the .30-06, and the .300WM.

I have never heard before that the .338WM is a hard cartridge to chamber for. It is a belted magnum like any other belted magnum, except that it has gained a reputation as a great elk cartridge. I am most impressed with mine, so much that if I buy another rifle it will have to be another .338WM.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 04-02-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread just blows my mind, a cartridge is a cartridge within reason, and if you can't get it to shoot, its not the cartridge, it's the smith, the barrel, the bedding or whatever, but not the round.

The 338 Win is a very popular round and increasing in popularity daily..It has fine bullets and most shoot well, at least that has been my experience...Bullets by Woodliegh, Nosler, GS Custom, Northfork, Hornady and Sierra all shoot fine in my personal gun and in all the 338 that I have built...Recoil is the same as my 300 H&H with 220 gr. bullets IMO......Penitration is about the best I've seen from any caliber and it kills as well as a 375 H&H IMO..It isn't overly fast and thats a big plus because all bullets perform with perfection in the 338...Mine shoots under 1/2" and shoots all loads that I have tried to POI horozontaly and from zero to 3" high vertically, now I don't think a gun can do any better than that...

Also I need to correct the above post in that the metal work was done by Jack Hogue, Milan Id. not Jack Belk as I stated above.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll stand by my previous post and still think the main reason "most shooters" have trouble getting their .338 to shoot as good as they like is recoil....it's a big step up from the .270 or .30/06 for most shooters.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brad, I'm with Ray when it comes to the .338 Winchester, and fountainhead preception of this thread (BASED ON BULLSHIT & MISINFORMATION) "blows my my mind" as well.......

The .338 Win. Mag. is capable of superb accuracy, pure and simple, and any other slant on the subject is based on very limited, ignorant experience with the cartridge. Quite frankly, any rumor about inherently poor accuracy when it comes to the .338 is due to silly over-statement (or is it understatment?) by overrated riflemakers: Nothing more or less than all that.

I have a .338 Winchester by Mark Penrod that is a true tackdriver, as but one example. D'Arcy Echols recently built a .338 Win. that produced groups in the .400s", and I have yet another .338 Winchester on order (I must have owned twenty of them since 1980) with the very, very talented, honest, and trustworthy Mr. Echols right now. If it was a "dog" cartridge, it's had plenty of time to reveal that side of its nature to me thus far, but it hasn't - and not by a country mile!

More importantly, I know a great many dead-serious hunters who have used this cartridge extensively, and for much more than shooting whitetails from stands (from the comfort of an unfettered, heavily supported, de-conditioned backside) across soybean fields. After all, the animals that are typically hunted with the .338 aren't exactly the size of sage rats, or have I been missing something???????

One of my hunting/shooting partners has taken over 200 big game animals with this cartridge, and I know of another world-class hunter who has taken far more than that number with the .338 Winchester, and for over 35 years.

Cash talks, bullshit walks, as they say.............

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 04-03-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having never chambered anything take this with a grain of salt, BUT if the .338WM is hard to chamber for than so is every other belted magnum round based on the same style case!!!!

If everything is trued, squared, and verified how is X cartridge different than Y cartridge???

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have chambered a couple of dozen, never noticed anything harder or different than chambering other cartridges. And the 338 Win will shoot, I have had Mausers shoot under 3/8" at 100 yards, a conventional hunting rifle topped with a 3-9 Leupold, No. 3 Shilen barrel. I believe it was shooting 225 Hornady's.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
Last weekend I had my .338 out, after a year Hiatus, and after I shot a fouler I shot a 3 shot group with a new "Bore scoped" scope.

The three shots were touching and I could cover them with a dime. I think the .338 win is a very accurate cartridge, tho any round can be chambered in a faulty rifle. Only the 30's can match it for bullet selection and I consider it the most versatile round on the planet.

Some folks are scared of the recoil, which is negligable. If you can shoot a light 3006 then you can shoot a .338 win. Maybe you need to load off the lands. My rifle gets bitchy if the bullets arent seated right............J

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Jarrett was talking about belted cases in general. The tolerance between the go and no go guage for a belted magnum is only .003 inch which requires a great deal more careful workmanship to chamber than the .005 average on non belted cases.

Posts: 1535 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Not to defend Kenny Jarret, but he is extremely particular about the barrels he uses and he does know how to build very accurate rifles. I have discussed a .338-378 with him years ago and he said that he had more problems with barrels and fouling in the .338 caliber than any other. I will stand by my opinion that many.338 barrels do tend to copper foul more than other calibers such as the .30's running at similar speeds(2700-2800fps). Chrome-moly appears worse than stainless steel,however, this could be due to the poorer barrel finish as compared to the stainless steel barrel.. It is not the chambering of the .338 Win Mag that is the problem, as yes it isn't any more difficult to chamber than any other cartridge, but the barrel materials or bullet diameter to length ratio coupled with the jacket materials used appear to me to make copper fouling worse in this caliber than in any other IMHO. I CAN NOT EXPLAIN WHY this is only the result of my observation on my guns and those of others. Yes I know everyone has .338 wins that shoot in the .2's ( except when I'm around to see those groups) and none of them copper foul excessively ( also only except when I look at the bores). I totally agree that recoil is not any more of a problem with the .338 mag than any other belted magnum in this power class.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am an absolute 338 Mag fan.

I've chambered many of them, and find them no more difficult to "chamber" than anything else.

My personal favorite 338 Mag has a Walther Barrel on it, and after 509 rounds, most everything will under an inch.

The only thing I really do differently on all Belted Cases, is chamber them very tight.

The gun will not close on a GO gauge, but will close on a cartridge.

Once you get them deep enough to close on the GO gauge, headspace is way to long.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
I am with Ray and Bill and Terry and some of the others on this one, a 338 mag is as good as the components, the builder, and the BIG one the SHOOTER. Most people will tell you the recoil of their 338 doesn't bother them, but slip in a dummy round and watch just for a few laughs sometime, it is amazing some of them even hit the paper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad -ya know me buddy -no problems with the 338-well one I guess. It's not a 340!!! Ork Ork Ork

I've not a ton lot of experience with the 338 but I do a considerable with the 340. I'm going on my 4th 340 tube and all have shot sub moa no problem. (all on a M70 or 700 action).

All the 340's that I've played with have shot this way and I've shot more than a few of them. (many of my buddies use em)

Anyway really, get a gun to shoot and get to doing what really matters! And that is

'GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark, you're a practical man and a keen wit, and I admire your style!

AD

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Damn! This is news to me. i've never experienced any anomalies chambering for the 338 Win Mag.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THX Allen-it'd be great to get you out some spring for bear. I'll bring the pizza, Brad can bring the DQ treats and you can bring whatever rifle you are comfy with.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

I looked at over 50 last spring, this year is gonna be the best year yet!!

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Sparticus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Maybe Jarrett was talking about belted cases in general. The tolerance between the go and no go guage for a belted magnum is only .003 inch which requires a great deal more careful workmanship to chamber than the .005 average on non belted cases.

I have found in the SAAMI specs. their to be .007" difference in lenght, from NO-GO to GO. The gages I have are the same. They go from .2204" for GO to .2268" for NO-GO... Thought you'd like to know. I myself, would like a magnum headspaced off the shoulder, like rimless cartrigdes. I know the do that for the .300 Winchester Match reamer.

[This message has been edited by Sparticus (edited 04-07-2002).]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I started this thread because I found Jarrett's remark a bit odd.

I LOVE the 338 Win Mag. I doubt there's a finer, all-purpose, A to Z HUNTING ROUND on the planet... ok Mark, I'm a bit biased towards angular shoulders vs. rounded ones!

My first 338 was a Ruger M77 which had a bore as rough as a corn-cob, though it grouped everyhting fairly reliably at around 1.75". Not being satisfied, I got a Rem 700 which grouped most anything at an inch or less! Disliking Model 700's I got a stainless Winchester 70 when they came out. It had a chamber that, I believe, was cut at the very end of the reamer's life-cycle. The chamber was so small, off-the-shelf RCBS dies that had worked on my other two rifles wouldn't size the brass small enough to feed reliably... RCBS had to cook-up a special die for me (at no charge... what a company!) that would size the brass small enough to feed! In retrospect, I should've sent the rifle back to USRAC to have them replace the barrel (at their expense!)

I too head-space off the shoulder when loading belted Mags.

Just wondered if I'd get an opinion on Jarrett's comment...

I think he's an unbelievable promoter of the "good-ole-boy school"... beyond that, I'm not so sure he's any better than hundreds of Model 700 smith's who can build straight, squared, trued, tuned rifles that shoot well...

Brad

<Sparticus>
posted
I guess I came in half way thru this conversation. What was said by Kenny Jarret. I didn't catch that part. Sorry.

<allen day>
posted
Mark, I'd love to plan a bear hunt with you for next spring, so please, let's stay in touch on that one!

I wasn't going to bring this up, but I do have a Jarrett .338 Win. Mag. in my collection that was built for me back in 1991. It was built with a 24" 1 in 10" twist Schneider barrel, a McMillan Griffin & Howe pattern stock, Leupold scope mounts (the rings were lapped), a blueprinted Remington 700 action, plus Pete Grisel steel bottom metal. The metal was finished in black Teflon.

This is an accurate rifle, but only with 225 gr. or 250 gr. Hornady bullets. With these bullets, I can count on five-shot 100 yard groups of 3/4" or so. This rifle simply won't shoot any other bullet or load well at all. Barrel fouling has always been minimal with this barrel, which is a plus.

Part of the problem with this rifle in my estimate is that this gun was set up as a switch-barrel. To achieve that capability, the recoil lug was welded to the receiver........! Now I'm not very bright in a lot of areas, but welding warps steel. Now that being so, why would anyone bother to carefully blueprint and action and install a very precisely-ground recoil lug, then crudely weld that lug in place.

I don't care for this rifle, and I never have, even though I've hunted with it quite a bit in years past.

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 04-08-2002).]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Sparticus, read the post that started the thread... usually a "good" place to start, LOL!

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 04-08-2002).]

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen , interesting... didn't know you had one in 338... do I recall correctly you had a 280 as well?

I too am a bit of a dolt and can only do "under the truck" grade welding... that doesn't sound like a credible solution for an "accurized" rifle... apparently Mauser, and by extension Winchester, had it correct all along... machine the lug into the reciever!

PS... saw your response over at HA... I'll mail my new Address... thank you for the kind offer!

PSS... Mark is in Billings today at the gunshow... I was going to go but daylight savings put a crimp in my plan and a two-hour drive didn't sound fun!

Brad

<Sparticus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Sparticus, read the post that started the thread... usually a "good" place to start, LOL!

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 04-08-2002).]

I guess I just want to know where that comment can be found. I don't want to know what you said... "He said." Did you talk to him. Is it in his web site. An as for his promo additude, well he is in the business to sell his stuff... I don't support or not support, one side or the other, until I have the facts.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The recoil lug could be welded to the receiver and work out well if it was done properly. I would assume Jarrett would have thought this out. In a nutshell all welding would have been done prior to any machining steps which would be affected by it. The receiver would have been pre-heated to minimize the hardening that takes place when welding 4140. I would weld the lug all around if I were doing it and it would be clamped inplace with a barrel stub while welding. The truing of the lug and recutting of the threads would happen after the welding and clean up was finished. I said if I were doing it. In reality I probably wouldn't do it at all! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
RAY,
You are right on.David Gentry,built my .338 several years ago.It has a muzzle brake.Shoots well and the recoil is milder,with brake.Besides I am not a K.Jarrett devotee.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Sparticus>
posted
quote:
http://www.jarrettrifles.com/calibers.htm

Second paragraph.

I guess I don't get were chambering(you said) and "...one of the worst cartridges to get to shoot good."quote K.J. Are in the same ball park. Thoe I have been told they have a conical throat and that could be the problem. Maybe, the reamer maker could deviate from the SAAMI specs. and make one like should be. I am no great fan of K.Jerret. But he seems to be busy all the time.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Sparticus... you seem intent on having a pissing contest over words.

I'm not interested.

Jarrett's comment regarding the 338 Win Mag on HIS web-site is actually quite a bit "stronger" than how I "presented" or "interpreted" what HE actually said... his statement struck (and still strikes) me as odd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Robgunbuilder. I've built two .338 magnums both on Win 70 frames, one pre 64 and one post 64. Could not get either to shoot even close to what I would consider accurate. Have had a couple of 30-338 bench guns since then and they were exactly the oposite. Guess it was a short circuit between the firearm and the floor. But both 338 mags seem to dislike everything I tried to do to improve their accuracy. Go figure.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Well, for the person who owns or has owned a problematic .338 or two that has caused fits, it's natural to take the position that it's a caliber to which fine accuracy comes with a certain degree of difficulty.

The guys who owns one(or more).338 Winchester rifles that are highly accurate will remain skeptical - and I'm skeptical.

I any event, I don't think that there's any one riflemaker who has a lock on the "accuracy market", nor do I think that some of these guys have all the answers when it comes to fine accuracy solutions or fine riflemaking. A few of these cowboys would like you to think that they've got it all figured out, but sorry to say, they do not, and I don't care how much press they receive.

Personally, I've owned too many superb .338s that were highly accurate (five shots under an inch or better by definition) to ever think that there's something inherently wrong with the cartridge. Target copies available by request.

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 04-09-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen-we should look for a May or a June hunt in 03. We'll bring Brad along to pack and cook-tee-hee!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

perhaps we could get after chucks as well,you know field test a 06 and a 7 ork ork ork. Yeah I know bad joke! Sorry I couldn't resist

<HBH>
posted
The second rifle I ever stocked is a 338 win. on a Sako L61 with the factory barrel, in a loud, crotchy grained piece of Claro bedded with Micro Bed. It will shoot Noslers 210 gr. Part. in front of H4831 outstandingly, sub moa. Still will today, I have tryed several other bullets, with little or no tuning and it likes about everthing, but the 210 Part. do all I could ask of this cartridge.

HBH

<Sparticus>
posted
quote:
Sparticus... you seem intent on having a pissing contest over words.

I'm not interested.

Jarrett's comment regarding the 338 Win Mag on HIS web-site is actually quite a bit "stronger" than how I "presented" or "interpreted" what HE actually said... his statement struck (and still strikes) me as odd.

All and all he feels his Sh-t(JK) doesn't stink!!!Sorry,about ticking you off. I wonder what the price of those cartridges are when your in Tanzania or somewhere on Kodiac Island.