New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Man's Turkington
 Login/Join

<seven17>
posted
In light of a few posts recently on the subject of rebarreling the Turk Mauser with Remington barrels, I though I would tell about how my project turned out. I didn't realize until I started posting this just how many of the items I purchased on the internet. It started out as a project to see how inexpensively it could be done. For better or worse, I found most of it on line.
Here is a rundown of prices to the nearest $5.
Action D&T with straight bolt $50
Bolt w/ scope handle added $30
Choate black stock $60
244 Rem 722 Barrel Excellent $50
Redfield camo rings $15
Base $5
The rest are items not from the internet:
Brownells teflon coating used $25 worth
sling (not really needed) $20
safety $7
4x weaver scope (needed cleaned) $10
Bbl install by my mausersmith $25 (good deal)
That comes to $297 so far. Keep in mind I still have an extra bolt and the triggerguard/floorplate. I included no shipping charges as my memory is not as good in that dept. but there obviously would be more cost there. Also my brother graciously did the stock and scope painting for no charge. The rest of the work I did myself. I left the trigger and modified it to single stage. It was my first attempt at bead-blasting and teflon coating and it turned out very well. Most of my projects are a little less radical and therefore more expensive, but for what I tried to accomplish, it turned out quite satisfactory.
I will do some load development this summer hopefully around 75 grain bullets. Thanks for letting me share. Here are some pics for the interested:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pe7583ce6920a4959bb214ade608dd495/fdaf17ec.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p8209d7b5bcc0d35ad94cd01b82d36e92/fdaf17ed.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congtratulations! Sounds like you had a fun project, and got a very good result. I hope your creation rewards you with many years of shooting pleasure.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<aim4thefur>
posted
Actually, the fancy dancy high-tech paint job will cost him a pizza dinner, but he doesn't know that yet (wink, wink). [Wink]

I 'spose if he lets me shoot it I may discount to a PeanutButter shake at DQ. We'll see...

Lil bruder

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that finish the Brownells Teflon coating?. If so, how did you go about applying it. Rifle looks great!.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
efryman,
Yes, its Brownells teflon/moly oven cure. Comes in several colors. I have a small handheld sandblaster that I put Brownells abrasive grit in. Used "coarse" on this one. I just hit all the metal with that and then sprayed gray and green (in a camo pattern) then baked it per the instructions on the can. The door on the oven doesn't quite go shut but I think I got pretty good heat distribution, which is all it needs to cure. I may try fine grit on one that I will do in black next. Coarse is not too rough though. One could do a camo in 3 or 4 colors if you wanted. A little spendy though!

[ 06-09-2002, 05:50: Message edited by: seven17 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seven17:
efryman,
The door on the oven doesn't quite go shut but I think I got pretty good heat distribution, though!

I made a baking oven out of a 4' piece of 8" stovepipe, an electric hotplate, and a barbecue pit thermometer. Worked well...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice Job,
How does it feel and shoot?
hope you enjoyed the heck outt that
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
on another thought... I've got my next project lined up...
1936 mexican mauser
rem 338 winmag barrel
custom reamer for 338/376 steyr
ugly plastic stock,that i've done the camo job on before.
and the rest i've got the parts and tools for.

anyone wanna go in on a 338x376 steyr reamer set? I think that would be kickbutt to have a 338 winmag-ish vels on a short action
good hunting
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote