New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope/Base/Rings.....Trouble
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After putting a scope on a 22-250 M-98 I ran out of vertical adjustment. I tried a Leupold and a BSA. What would be the next step? Where would a person do the shimming or milling first to get the bases or rings in better alignment with the bore? Thanks....C

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
First I suggest you check & see if the holes are in the correct position & not canted. Was the stripper clip guide ground down & if so was that done correctly? (As in not over done) When you center the adjustments in the scope how far from center on a boresighter is it? Sometimes shimming is the answer but I prefer to re-machine the underside of the bases if possible instead.

P.S. How are the beach babes in Destin? All covered up this time of year huh. We visit my cousin in Sea Grove Beach every year.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-22-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bearclaw, I don't have the boresighter with me. The bridge was not milled. It was done with the Redfield bases I think. I am in southern Wisconsin for the holidays so all I have is the rifle and some ammo. We were just rough sighting while breaking in the bbl yesterday. It is a lot easier to get a bbl to cool in Wisconsin than Florida at this time of year though. I just moved to Santa Rosa Beach from Destin. Much quieter......As far as the girls in bikinis go, that is year round at the right bars, and it never gets old....Thanks

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bear Claw, Which base, front or rear would be the most likely? I looked at the rifle last night. The rear bridge wasn't milled nor has the front ring been ground or polished. The bases appear to be exactly on line. The holes are TDC with a center finder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you run out of vertical adjustment is the rifle shooting high or low? Is the action a small or large ring? Somtimes just by loosening the screws on one end then theother you will be able to tell which end is high. With the proper base it is unusual to be that far off in a vertical plane. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. If you're running out of vertical adjustment and still shooting high, the rear base is too low. If you're shooting low, the front base is too low. Either way, you can shim the approbriate base-Brownell's sells pre-drilled shims but they are pretty easy to make.
Another way to tell which base is low -mount both and use a straight-edge across the bases-this will tell you how much of a problem you have.
A method of shimming I used with solid-bridge bases that sounds haywire but seems to work ok when the gap is small is to apply a small amount of Brownells agra-glass gel dyed black to the bottom of the end that needs shimming and mounting the base to the rifle then letting the gel dry. Apply release agent to the receiver and the base screws and don't set the screws too tight while the gel is drying. Use enough gel so that some squeezes out when you set the screws. After drying, the excess can be trimmed to make a nice appearance. I used this method on a light-weight .300 Win Mag and it's been problem free.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting very low. I ran out of adjustment trying to raise the point of impact. It is a large ring M-98. When I get back to Fl. I am going to double check the bases and rings and make sure there is no problem with the mounting system. As a side note, I was using remington factory ammo for break in and noticed that some of the primers are silver and some are gold. I am a little worried that some knucklehead may have pulled a switch with a round or two at some time. I have not disasembled any rounds yet. Is this normal for remington?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carnivore,

Usually big case capacity for the bore size, like 22/250, especially when the twist is slow, like 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 for 224 bore size, they usually shoot different losads close together.

If this was a 458, then the point of impact difference could be very large and in particular with the vertical.

In my opinion, to run out of vertical adjustment on a 22/250, if different loads were the cause, then you were already close to being out of vertical adjustment due to scope mounts etc..

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey Carnivore,

Where in Southern Wisconsin are you? I'm just over the Illinois line sorta by Gurnee Mills, be happy to look at your rifle with you if you are headed this way. The only problem is that I'm in the process of moving over the next couple of months so I have moved most of my shop away already, but I don't think you need a lathe and stuff for this problem anyway

Let me know if I can help,

Mark

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is to make certain that bases for a small ring Mauser didn't get put on a large ring action. This is bad for vertical adjustment! Which M98 is your gun? A Polish Kar 98 is a small ring 98. Most 98's we run into are of the large ring varity but i'm just checking as I have run into this before. I've been using Leupold or Redfield one or two piece bases for years now & never had any trouble.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-24-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I was in Dodgeville but left for Ohio to visit more family. Thank you for the offer. The load that I was shooting was a factory load. The thing that made me stop shooting though was the fact that the primers were different colors.
As for the bases some thing that I didn't consider. When the M-98 was being drilled and tapped I was having a M-96 drilled and tapped also. It is possible that a wrong base was installed. I didn't order or install the bases so I don't know for sure. Does anyone have a height measurement for a front and rear base, Redfield, large ring M-98. It is a true large ring 1940 production date. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What brand of bases are on the gun?

------------------
NRA Life member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redfield bases