Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 action vs. Rem 700
 Login/Join

<Tunacan>
posted
Hello,

I have a quick question. I have been looking for an action to build off of. As you know the 700s SA are scarce.

I have a chance to buy a new stainless Ruger dirt cheap.

Would there be any advantages or disadvantages using either the Ruger 77 or the Remington 700? Why?

Is one typically more accurate than the other?

Is there a big weight difference?

Help this rookie out. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tunacan:
Hello,

I have a quick question. I have been looking for an action to build off of. As you know the 700s SA are scarce.

I have a chance to buy a new stainless Ruger dirt cheap.

Would there be any advantages or disadvantages using either the Ruger 77 or the Remington 700? Why?

Is one typically more accurate than the other?

Is there a big weight difference?

Help this rookie out. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

The Remington is inherently more accurate due to the way it is made. It is machined from bar stock.. Tighter tolerances.
Push feed, not controlled, not that there is a accuracy difference in bolt design that I am aware of. You can single load a round in a push feed, controlled feed requires cycling from mag well� If you look at any sniper rifle, you will see them based on the 700.

I am sure others will disagree with any and all my findings.

Scout..

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 02-10-2002).]

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alot depends on what you intend to build off of this action. you want a target rifle of some type (silhouette, benchrest, etc.) remington is the way to go, no contest.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Rem 700 - more aftermarket goodies built for this action than any other. Triggers, stocks, recoil lugs, shrouds, firing pins & springs, scope mounts and on and on.

Ruger - some aftermarket goodies, certainly enough to make it a worthwhile project.

If you want to drive tacks go Remington. I lke em both so maybe someone else can differ. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that there are any real accuracy advantages to the Remington action in stock form though there may be some. Tighter tolerances aren't among them.
Remingtons are easier to bed. They are easier to true up. Rugers seem to be a bit more rugged and some of the problems that can happen with Remingtons if you are unlucky (removable bolt handle for instance)are unheard of with the Ruger.
The Ruger trigger is pitiful and is perhaps the main drawback to the action. It can however be improved or replaced. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remingtons the only Sniper rifle! Get real! Try Steyr, FN, Parker Hale, Draganov, H&K, Savage, just to name a few.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
Remingtons the only Sniper rifle! Get real! Try Steyr, FN, Parker Hale, Draganov, H&K, Savage, just to name a few.

GSF, I did not say only,,,, I said any.... Also, the original question was between Remington, and Ruger... If we opened up this particular question to which one of the worlds rifle was the best sniper rifle ever made, I would say it does not yet exist ... I would have to say the development of a computer controlled (hand held) self-stabilizing, sniper rifle would be the answer. Hahahah
Kind of like an F15 Aircraft...

Scout...

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scout:
Push feed, not controlled, not that there is a accuracy difference in bolt design that I am aware of. You can single load a round in a push feed, controlled feed requires cycling from mag well�

I have two Ruger 77s and a Remington 700. When we compare apples with apples, there isn't a great deal of difference.

Single shot feed is the same with both. In fact, my R77VT is only used single shot. I prefer the Ruger's extraction feel, and the way that you can control just where the case goes. I also prefer the Ruger laminated stocks, but then that's a personal item (I just hate cheekpieces).

Triggers on R77s other than the VT are not good, but can be reworked to good varmint triggers. They can't go to target trigger levels though (but then how safe is the Rem at those levels). The VT trigger is fine.

Bedding options are easier with the Rem, but someone who knows what they are doing can work the Ruger.

I suspect you can get good 'uns and duds from both companies. Thus far I've been happy with both (the only rifle I've had trouble with is a Sako).

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 is generally more accurate. There's more aftermarket stuff for M700 as well (stocks, triggers, and extra thick recoil lug, to name a few.)

On the other hand, Ruger being a controlled-round-feed, will suit better for a hunting rifle.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
Remingtons are easier to bed and the action is quicker and easier to true up. You need to have the barrel bore in line with action centerline and the bolt face square to make a tack driver.

Remington, basically a tube, sets up quicker than a Ruger which is a basically a square. Rugers are a bear to bed because the slab sides scrape off the bedding material as you slide the receiver into the stock. I quit trying to get a good fit on the sides and just bed the tang and recoil area and open up the sides of the stock in the receiver area enough so the receiver sides don't touch and free float the barrel all the way out.

Ruger is not as stiff as a Remington also. Look at all the material cut out for the magazine and above the bolt. Gets a little thin in the stiffness catagory. I have several rifles of both brands and the Rems seem to shoot smaller groups.

I wouldn't recommend a Ruger to build off of unless you want a controlled feed type of action. I also have a couple of dirt cheep Rugers lying around waiting. I'll sell them before I'll rebarrel them to anything except a beater/backup, 2 MOA of beasty.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Is the Canjar set trigger no longer available for the Ruger? Mine has one, but I bought the whole rig used.

For a rifle that will take game at traditional distances, it seems to me that the Ruger would be just fine.

Just don't go trying to take money from Bill T with that Ruger.

[This message has been edited by LongDistanceOperator (edited 02-10-2002).]

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Call three well known gunsmiths and you will get the answer you seek.

<john holmes>
posted
A good example of how the ruger is lacking in rigidness, when compared with a M700,is the common practice of tightening the first and third screws and leaving the center screw loose. What this does is leave the magazine box free floating and keeps it from warping the action, the same thing occurs in M70's but not as bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is little if any difference in rigidity between the 700 and the 77. Any advantage may well lie with the Ruger. The reason it is common practice to leave the center screw relatively losse on the 77 or the M70 or indeed on the 700ADLs that have them, is that there is no bedding support at that point and all the actions will bend if this screw is tightened. In some cases the rifles may be set up in such a way that the action is supported here and the center screw can then become a part of the bedding system.
Stuart Otteson had the figures for structural rigidity for these actions and others in his book, I believe, but I no longer have the book. Of the three I believe it was the M70 receiver which was the most rigid.
I have built and shot target rifles based on all three actions. For this purpose my choices are:
1. Remington 700 because it's easiest to work with and I have always liked the way the bolt fits into the counterbore of the barrel. In a custom target rifle this can help to ensure bolt alignment.
2. Winchester. difficult to set up for truing but relatively easy to work with as far as bedding etc.
3. Sako. Fine in all respects except for the location of the front guard screw and the guide rib that likes to come adrift occasionally.
4. Ruger77. Difficult to set up for truing. Bedding a bit complex.
I don't mention the Savage because I've never really considered it as the basis for any kind of a custom rifle because it's cheap and homely and I hate the striker system.
For a hunting rifle a lot of this means nothing. All function well. All look OK. The ruger may have the strongest scope mounting system. The M70 the best trigger/safety system. Ruger has the best bolt. It's handle won't fall off nor will the Sako's. All the others have come into my shop with the bolt locked shut and the bolt handle hanging on the tag. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
Buy the Ruger, It'll make a nice rifle. If you don't buy it let me know I'll take a dirt cheap Ruger any day!